When the HC on your travel team has a different pitching mechanic philosophy than your DD's PC....what to do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
We had a similar situation, maybe a little worse in that the AC was HC's daughter and a HE PC. While he didn't try to convert us, he did make sure that when my DD pitched, the defense behind her was the weakest lineup possible. It was one of the big reasons we left and she ended up leaving softball. Ironically, last year, HC sends out a feeler to see if DD wanted to come back. We knew his pitching was weak and getting pounded. DD said no thanks.

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
It's a difficult conversation, but you need to just say to the HC that DD is working with PC on certain mechanics and ask that he respect that. Can't have the kid getting pulled in two different directions. Might mean you have to find another team, but that's life.

May 10, 2021
Thanks for all the advice!!

I did talk to the HC today about our PC and the intentional 12/6 spin with downward movement. HC is not a pitching coach. Basically said he doesn't care just wants strikes. I could be taken by that but it is a lower level team. I know what neighborhood I am in. I emphasized our families commitment to this team and to the DD development. Trying to throw bullet spin past every batter is not helping development. It was awkward to say the least.

My DD joined this team primarily because she would get a ton of circle time and yes that has been the case.

HC mentioned last week DD had some pitches drop out of the zone for balls and to his credit she did walk a few last weekend. However this is the spin and movement we want to create and locate. It is part of the development process.

At the end of the day it will be a good experience for DD navigating this. I will get the PC take and advice tomorrow.

May 10, 2021
I would focus on "one consistent message" in that you don't want PC showing one thing vs coach teaching another. Not getting into the right and wrong of all of it all it's just that you don't want to confuse your daughter and want her to focus on a singular voice (that you are paying for).

Any coach worth a damn will not have an issue with this.

I will point out that one blind spot parents have is that when the are paying for hitting or pitching lessons they tend not to be as critical of the pitching/hitting coach as they should be. Just because the paid coach has been doing it for "X" years and have churned out "X" college players doesn't mean they are doing it right.

Just my observations.
Thanks I agree on one consistent message. At times this is the trouble at the "bowels" of TB. Players are not as developed and neither are the coaches. I will always defend the coach/team trying to develop players even if it means not winning right now. My DD is in a good position with this club; she is making the team better and getting meaningful game reps. Really a win/win even at the lower levels.

Working through this with HC will only make her a better person and player!

Aug 21, 2020
Basically said he doesn't care just wants strikes…

HC mentioned last week DD had some pitches drop out of the zone for balls and to his credit she did walk a few last weekend….

I’m really curious to get the PC’s take on these two statements. Taken to an extreme, throwing bullet spin over the middle of the plate all day would be OK until those pitches get hit for extra bases. Then you’re going to get hammered by the HC on why DD isn’t striking out batters.

Not every good pitch is going to be a strike and unless those balls hit the ground midway between plate and the rubber having then drop out of the zone is not a sign of a bad pitcher. Good thing your guard is up with this HC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Thanks for all the advice!!

I did talk to the HC today about our PC and the intentional 12/6 spin with downward movement. HC is not a pitching coach. Basically said he doesn't care just wants strikes. I could be taken by that but it is a lower level team. I know what neighborhood I am in. I emphasized our families commitment to this team and to the DD development. Trying to throw bullet spin past every batter is not helping development. It was awkward to say the least.

My DD joined this team primarily because she would get a ton of circle time and yes that has been the case.

HC mentioned last week DD had some pitches drop out of the zone for balls and to his credit she did walk a few last weekend. However this is the spin and movement we want to create and locate. It is part of the development process.

At the end of the day it will be a good experience for DD navigating this. I will get the PC take and advice tomorrow.

I could be interpreting this wrong, but I don't take it as a bad thing. I take it as the HC admitting he doesn't know the ins and outs of pitching, and he's looking for results. He's not forcing or insisting on any particular change in mechanics.

True, a results-based approach isn't the best, but if his mindset is simply "just get the job done," he's giving you and your DD the freedom to get that job done the way you think is best.

IOW, he doesn't know or particularly care about what kind of spin or movement she has as long as she's getting batters out. It sounds like you're on a path to make her better able to do that, so keep going with it.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I could be interpreting this wrong, but I don't take it as a bad thing. I take it as the HC admitting he doesn't know the ins and outs of pitching, and he's looking for results. He's not forcing or insisting on any particular change in mechanics.

True, a results-based approach isn't the best, but if his mindset is simply "just get the job done," he's giving you and your DD the freedom to get that job done the way you think is best.

IOW, he doesn't know or particularly care about what kind of spin or movement she has as long as she's getting batters out. It sounds like you're on a path to make her better able to do that, so keep going with it.
Think its a bad thing in that apon being questioned the coach admits he doesnt know the ins and outs.
He tried to influence someone else without actually knowing what he was doing.
Thats bad.
Especially because the coach should be aware of the player on his team having an instructor and respect by acknowledging that as part of development conversation...
*befor fudging things up.

imo
The details in OP post about a coach like this is a huge red flag that could/should prompt everyone to do the research about coaches ahead of time joining teams. Ask questions to know who the coach is and what background education they have in sb...because they can potentially influence taking a turn the wrong way.

Prepare and Plan a Healthy Path!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad