When the HC on your travel team has a different pitching mechanic philosophy than your DD's PC....what to do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2021
My DD is on a lower level B travel team for the upcoming season. They are playing in some round robins and they have 2 pitchers; my DD is one of them. She is on this team for the benefit of getting as much circle time as possible. That being said its a great group of girls and she fits in well socially and athletically.

Today in practice the HC was directing the pitchers in conflict with PC. PC is a 25 year guy with many college athletes all the way down to 8 year olds. We have worked for 6 months just to get a regular lesson time because of the demand for his services.

How would you handle this?
PC is working on 12/6 spin and getting a fast ball with movement down. HC wants bullet spin.
This is a real example and there are more.

Any experience either as a coach or parent in this situation? I want to be graceful. My DD is getting circle time and helping her team be successful.
That being said I am certainly on the side of experience and results based on 25 years of PC experience and students all over the area playing college ball.

What would you do?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Is HC an actual pitching coach, or does he just pretend to be one during team practice?

Covered more than once on this board. Take HC aside and let him know who DD is seeing and what he's teaching. Offer up a phone number so HC can call PC himself. Don't throw down ultimatums but let him know your DD is on this course deliberately and ask for some maneuvering room. She's one of two pitchers...it isn't like HC really has much of a choice. Pitchers (and their parents) are very much in the driver's seat on stuff like this.

May 17, 2012
That being said I am certainly on the side of experience and results based on 25 years of PC experience and students all over the area playing college ball.

I would focus on "one consistent message" in that you don't want PC showing one thing vs coach teaching another. Not getting into the right and wrong of all of it all it's just that you don't want to confuse your daughter and want her to focus on a singular voice (that you are paying for).

Any coach worth a damn will not have an issue with this.

I will point out that one blind spot parents have is that when the are paying for hitting or pitching lessons they tend not to be as critical of the pitching/hitting coach as they should be. Just because the paid coach has been doing it for "X" years and have churned out "X" college players doesn't mean they are doing it right.

Just my observations.

Aug 21, 2008
My DD is on a lower level B travel team for the upcoming season. They are playing in some round robins and they have 2 pitchers; my DD is one of them. She is on this team for the benefit of getting as much circle time as possible. That being said its a great group of girls and she fits in well socially and athletically.

Today in practice the HC was directing the pitchers in conflict with PC. PC is a 25 year guy with many college athletes all the way down to 8 year olds. We have worked for 6 months just to get a regular lesson time because of the demand for his services.

How would you handle this?
PC is working on 12/6 spin and getting a fast ball with movement down. HC wants bullet spin.
This is a real example and there are more.

Any experience either as a coach or parent in this situation? I want to be graceful. My DD is getting circle time and helping her team be successful.

What would you do?
you mentioned your PC's credentials, what's the HC's? I'm not saying the conflict is good, I'm just curious why the HC decided to do this. When you joined the team, did the coach indicate he/she "helps" with pitching? For the record, I agree with what the PC is teaching based off what you said.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My question is how do these 2 different coaches get you to the desired spin? Sometimes that 12/6 spin is hello elbow and that bullet spin is a result of beginning IR. So is it the spin the coaches are talking about, or the release and follow through. Because in the long run the IR is the better choice.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
This happens with more than just pitching mechanics.

Best case scenario
Both the family and coach are capable of having a conversation to not put the player in a confusing situation.

If it is apparent the coaches or instructors conflicting messages are more important than 'Actually looking at'
the players development and success at there role, that makes for another decision.
(This means even if your dd continues with only what the pitching coach is teaching, if the player isn't getting better that should be evaluated also.)
Or
If she continues with pitching coaches instruction and continues developing and shows success and the coach is still causing conflicting message...
Thats another decision to stay and learn to handle that type of situation, or leave...
but obviously thats a different lesson than pitching. 🙂

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
It is awkward when a coach knows a player already has an instructor and coach wants to change the player.

Keep saying look for the success.
But instead some coaches do not accept that there is more than one way to be succesful.

What i notice is players who go to instruction and teaching clinics are educating themselves.
At times the players softball education has grown beyond the coaches.
Even at young ages!

In this situation the coach either respects that or unfortunately has their own personal short coming or goal that becomes about themself and not the player.

Just observation over time...

Jun 27, 2021
I'm sure he means well. But to me a lower level B team coach trying talk shop in pitching is not ideal, they are usually trying to use jargon words to seem as it they know what they are talking about. Most coaches have no clue about pitching/mechanics, pitch calling etc. Your investment is in your kids PC. Coaches at that level are usually telling a 10U pitcher to just throw strikes.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad