When does end of year began for u14 team in asa

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
I know the rule is out there but drawing a blank trying to find it! Say you have a u14 team that is 2nd year and moving up to u16. When does the year officially end for that u14 team. If they play in a nationals in August can they play u14 till Dec 31 or are they considered u16 when nationals end?? This would be for ASA. Thanks for the help!

Feb 3, 2011
In ASA, teams with all players born in 2001 or later are eligible to play 14u until December 31, 2016.

But why would they? Once 2nd-year 14u teams have completed their final summer tournaments in 14u, there's no benefit to continuing to play 14u.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
In ASA, teams with all players born in 2001 or later are eligible to play 14u until December 31, 2016.

But why would they? Once 2nd-year 14u teams have completed their final summer tournaments in 14u, there's no benefit to continuing to play 14u.

Fall trophy hunters.

Apr 3, 2013
Fall trophy hunters.

No, no, no. It's to "build their confidence" heading into the spring.***

Those tournament wins also look impressive when they try to cut their bottom players by advertising a winter tryout with a 5 time championship team that fall. They leave off the age group they won however. Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I know the rule is out there but drawing a blank trying to find it! Say you have a u14 team that is 2nd year and moving up to u16. When does the year officially end for that u14 team. If they play in a nationals in August can they play u14 till Dec 31 or are they considered u16 when nationals end?? This would be for ASA. Thanks for the help!

In our area the season ends after ASA Nationals in July, anything after that is considered next season. Most teams hold tryouts in August and during Fall tournaments teams are "supposed" to play at the level they will the following Spring. Needless to say that "unwritten rule" is not always enforced and there are some coaches who will trophy hunt. One of the worst beatings my DD has taken in the circle was when we were going to be a first year 12U team, and she moved to 40' and a 12" ball. That Fall we played a second year 12U team (who would have to play first year 14U the following season). Therefore, my 11 year old DD was pitching against some 14 year olds (DD has always been one of the youngest on her team because of her late birthday). It did not end well...but it made my DD want to practice that much harder from 40' with the 12" ball!

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2016
...just play what you want...way to many opinions and 'whats legal' local area, this tourney, that tourney minutia...
A kid is legal in 14U per ASA if they turn 15 before Jan 1

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
If your team is moving to 16U in the Spring, you should be attending fall showcases. That is what every other 16U team and soon to be 16u team will be doing. No reason to play teams that were 12U in summer and moving to 14U.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619