When did your DD first throw 60 mph?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Not sure why that would surprise me, I expect there are many. One would have to be a complete idiot to think their kid is the only one that has a team of high level athletes capable of the criteria. There are a lot of DFP members and many high level teams across the country. Would only make sense to have several here. I was merely stating the criteria for the team and it turns into big pissing contest. We play national level teams all the time, the girls that can accomplish those numbers are plentiful across the country as a whole.

This comment...

Just clarifying the caliber of players on the team and the level they compete at so the know it all's can maybe open their eyes that there is a different level of softball out there.

...leads one to think that you believe the "know it all" people who have commented on your posts aren't familiar with national-caliber softball.

Apparently, your DD's team has some high standards. If that works for them in building a top-level team, that's their choice, and it's cool that your DD has the kind of skills they are looking for. However, as the "know it alls" have pointed out, some of the top players in the game wouldn't meet the qualifications you indicated.

Jun 8, 2012
Illinois
some of the top players in the game wouldn't meet the qualifications you indicated.

Not disputing that at all. Only disputing the fact that it was stated it's pretty much impossible to find 13 girls with those skills out of a pool of 12-15 million people.

Still would like to hear criteria for the teams I mentioned earlier...

Nov 25, 2012
USA
This is a great thread! I think most are wondering where their dd fits in on this spectrum. Nice to hear honest responses from parents that don't have anything to prove or have dd's that are competing for circle time�� Btw mine (freshman) cruises around 55 and tops out around 57. Sounds like she's fitting in where she should. Can't wait for that "60" though!!

Like you CM, this is my take away from this thread as well. I appreciate the fact it was posted and the fact that so many of the long timer DFP'rs made comments consistent with one another. It was refreshing to hear that many aren't getting to 60 until high school and to hear it from the respected folks who have provided so much to this group over the years. Thanks again for starting this thread and giving the majority who really want to learn and understand a better sense of reality. Not saying those outliers don't exist because they indeed do, but unicorns don't come around very often ;)

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I can understand why people prefer the Bushnells. You get that higher number in addition to it being cheaper. I'd put my money on the pocket radar for accuracy though. The only reason I even care about speed is that a lot of coaches seem so blinded by it.

The key is to pick one radar and stick with it. You need to be consistent when gauging progress. If you just want a big number use the Busnell and follow Radar Grandpa's methodogy. I personally prefer the RevFire for measuring progress because of the RPM stat.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Always be wary of parents and coaches that drone on and on about a pitchers velocity. If all they have is 1/3 of the trinity, the kid is a thrower not a pitcher.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
FWIW, I know of at least 2 crazy parents who bragged and provided radar gun proof that their DD threw 60 mph using a unit set to display in kph. Honest mistake in one case, not so much in the other.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
You may throw with your arm, but you should pitch with your head.

I am trying to get my DD to starting "thinking" more in the circle. If she does not agree with a pitch call, shake it off or call the catcher out. Being a mind numbed robot that just throws whatever is called is a recipe for disaster, especially when the coaching is less than stellar. At the end of the day, if my DD gives up a HR everyone looks at her, not the coach who called a fastball down the middle 0-2 to a batter whose nickname is "Killer"...

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
or have DDs with NPF records, or college school home run records, or are starting pitchers in the PAC10, BIG10, BIG12, SEC, or coach top level travel teams, or are the PC for girls that went on to pitch pro ball in America or Japan or whose DDs are former DI/DI/DIII/NAIA pitchers, or who are committed to big name schools or have coached the sprort in HS since before Al Gore invented the internet.

Hard to think you are special or your kid is when you think about the accomplishments of some of the girls belonging to other members.

This post demonstrates how neat it is to be a member here!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog