When did your DD first throw 60 mph?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Witnessed a 13 y/o at my daughter's travel ballpractice last night that can throw 63. 1st time I have seen a kid that age throw that hard. She is also 6 ft! She seemed to lack control, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When DD was in 8th grade and on 14u team, we had a 6'1" 8th grader who topped out at 65 mph. She definitely had control and just a little movement...struggled with change up (she smiled when change up was called lol). But yeah, she brought heat. She could also blast balls into trees! She quit to play volleyball.

Dec 1, 2010
I thought I would post for once instead of just reading after seeing this thread. My daughter and I went through this in middle school trying everything to get her speed up at the time she was only about 48 mph. We still practice speed drills and she is a senior and only throws 55 mph 56 tops. I copied a few paragraphs from our local paper that wrote an article about her after a state playoff game we won to get into the semi finals (which unfortunately we lost) She does have 3-DIII colleges that want her and she has yet to decide but I hope some fathers and their daughters read this and know that you don't have to be FAST to be GOOD.

Riley has started at the varsity level since she was a freshman and helped lead her school to a District title two years ago as a freshman. While the team fell in the first round of states that season, that experience coupled with her extensive travel ball play has helped mold Riley into a true presence in the circle.
Riley is not blessed with a blazing fastball and is not considered a true strikeout pitcher, but instead has grown into a dominant force in her own unique way as a finesse pitcher. She has struck out more than eight batters in a game just five times this season, and overall has 132 strikeouts in 109 2/3 innings. Instead, Riley has learned the art of moving her pitches around and hitting spots while having confidence in her defense to have her back when balls are put in play.
Overall, the junior is 19-0 on the season and sports a 0.58 ERA in 109 2/3 innings. Her ERA in the playoffs is 0.24 in 29 innings of work.
“I don’t have a whole lot of speed, so I think my movement really helps me, and it keeps a lot of batters off-balance,” said Riley. “Teams obviously hit me, and they either get used to the movement or move up in the box, but what really helps too is I have a really good defense behind me. I think that (team defense) has helped me get this far.

Jun 14, 2016
Trust me I wouldn't have believed it unless I had seen her with my own eyes. She was a good bit faster then my dd and mine throws in the upper 50's.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
60KPH is 37MPH. Honest mistake? That's a huge, huge difference in speed.

Well, since this thread was about throwing 60, I used artistic license and altered the facts to fit the thread i.e., the claimed speeds actually were 50 and 55 mph. Still a huge difference between those mph and kph, but the rest of the story is true. Put a new toy in the hands of relatively inexperienced TB parents and you never know what may happen.

Jul 5, 2016
Well, since this thread was about throwing 60, I used artistic license and altered the facts to fit the thread i.e., the claimed speeds actually were 50 and 55 mph. Still a huge difference between those mph and kph, but the rest of the story is true. Put a new toy in the hands of relatively inexperienced TB parents and you never know what may happen.

Look, if NASA can crash a multi-million dollar probe into Mars because an engineer mixed up kilometers and miles, surely we can cut some TB parents a bit of slack. :)

Nov 18, 2013
Trust me I wouldn't have believed it unless I had seen her with my own eyes. She was a good bit faster then my dd and mine throws in the upper 50's.

I believe you. I was talking about a TN girl.

Apr 28, 2014
There is a 13 year old girl in SE PA who throws 63.
She plays with an 18u gold team. She's significantly dominant. I heard about her and couldn't believe it until I saw her at a practice. She is a joy to watch. Simply dominant.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Quick question.....Do you all think the numbers below are accurate? They seem to be very much in line IMO but curious if others would agree.

Information has been posted here before and on Coach Marc's website I believe. Anyway, if you had a 14 year old hitting 53-54 consistently (exact reading on both ball coach and bushnell*** No fuzzy math or adding additional mph to what the guns say) would you say she is on track? Yes, I realize the best 14U players in the country throw 78 already but how about a normal player who's parent isn't taking the radar gun and adding 7-8 mph to it?:rolleyes:

Age Average Pitching Speed Top Pitching Speed
10u 37-41 MPH 43-46 MPH
12u 44-47 MPH 50-53 MPH
14u 46-49 MPH 52-55 MPH
16u 50-53 MPH 54-57 MPH
18u 53-56 MPH 58-61 MPH
College 59-64 MPH 65-72 MPH

Do you think the numbers above are low, high, or right on?

Thanks!

S3

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors