When are offers made?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 9, 2010
Forgive the very open-ended question.... I realize that there is probably a huge range of answers to this question. So, let me attempt to be more specific to what prompted this post. DD is a Jr. and has been actively engaged in the recruiting process (contacting coaches from schools of interest, filling out recruit info, skills video, playing in high-exposure tourneys, maintains great grades, NCAA registered, contacting coaches again and again, etc). She has finally been seeing some gains from her activities in that 3 of the 4 schools (all DII) she is most interested in attending, have sent her invitations to recruit camps. She just finished one, is headed off to another next week, and the 3rd is next month. I realize there is a $-generating purpose for these camps, so what I really want to know is how likely is it that the coaches are really looking at 2012s for a DII program?

DD emailed the coach from the already completed camp to thank her, let the coach know she is still interested in attending that school and playing softball. So now we wait, email HS stats when that season is over, and just .... wait? Should we be bolder come summer and outright ask about playing for that school?

Do coaches make offers at these camps? Just after these camps? I know every school is unique, but do these things potentially happen?

Thanks.... even though we feel that DD (and her parents!) are doing a lot, it does get frustrating!

Feb 6, 2009
In my opinion camps are not the best method (recruiting tournaments are because the y want to see your daughter play live against good competition too) but camps do work if the coach is very interested because they can talk to your daughter on their own campus (and that's how alot of verbal offers are made before senior year). That said, it's very likely that DII coaches are looking for 2012 grads at this point. My DD was interested in DII level softball. The summer after her Jr year was the year she had all of her activity. At the end of that summer (Jr year) after contacting a variety of caoches and being seen by many at a variety of recruiting tournaments, she was invited to a bunch of DII schools. That's the funny thing with DII. They can invite you in and do an on campus tryout. So she went to 5 or 6 trips after spending the entire summer playing in recruiting tournaments. Thought it would never end. She got 5 offers and is at Adlphi University on Long Island. You can communicate any time you want that you have a deisre to play at their school. They can only make verbal offers while on their campus until June/July after Jr year at which point the rules get more relaxed. Good luck!

Jul 9, 2010
At her age, I think the camps help to get you on their "must see" list for this upcoming summer. If she has left an impression in the camp, they will come watch her play in the summer, and make a decision then.

Though they will want to see her in game action, it's possible to go from being one out of 150 kids that emailed them, to being in their top 10 or 20 recruits through the camp.

I think it's a little early to come right out with direct questions. For now, just keep them updated throughout the HS year (grades, test scores, stats, whatever) so they know she's still around. Then, her summer schedule as soon as you know it. Next summer, she can start emailing and asking if they plan to attend specific expsoure tourneys (as in "I will be at the XYZ tourney in 2 weeks, and I am hoping you will be able to come see me there").

Last - don't forget the power of the telephone. This generation hates to actually talk on the phone, but a phone call, saying something like I went to your camp, love your school, hope you can see me over the summer, can work wonders as well. It's really important that she actually phone any school that she is actually really interested in. If she is going to make calls, though, they need to happen now. After the first of the year, they will get very busy with their seasons, and are not as likley to be accessible.

Jul 9, 2010
A friend of mine's DD is a junior right now.

She went to a camp over the summer (D1, BCS conference school), did well, liked the coaches and the campus, and was really excited about it all. I have been telling him to have her call the coach and say how much she liked it, loved them, the school, etc.

The school also came to watch her at an end of the season exposure tourney, talked a little to her TB coach, etc. I kept telling him to have her call the coaches and chat, but they were thinking the coaches would send an email saying how much they loved her and how badly they wanted to make her an offer.

Finally, after not hearing from them for 2 months, he had her talk to me about 3 weeks ago. I spent 20 minutes telling her all the reasons she should call, and after a day, she finally got up the nerve and did it.

They were very excited she called - they had thought maybe she wasn't all that interested after all. In the call, they asked her to come visit them, which she did. They spend about 8 hours with her, showing her around, talking to her abour their porgram, her career goals, etc. While there, they also told her she was in their top 3 recruits for 2012, and they planned to make watching her again in the spring their first priority. In their case, they said they typically make offers in June/July before the senior year.

Had she not called, they would have moved on. Like I tell all of my players - make the call. Don't call every coach, but call of a few of your highest priorities.

BTW - I know it's hard for a 16 year old to make a call to a college coach. It's very intimiidating. However, college coaches also know they are talking to 16 year olds, and the know how to make conversation and help the player through the awkwardness. I think if players can understand that, they might be less afraid to do it.

Sorry for the long post, but one last thought: This recruiting process is an emotional roller coaster. You are up, then down, then up, then down, then up.... It's tough. But, if you stick with it, do the right things, find collees that are match for you (athletically and academically), and keeping working at it, it can have a good ending.

So, tell her to hang in there and keep at it - sounds like she's on the right track.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
My 2012 DD just verballed to a D1. We went on an unofficial visit to the school 2 weeks ago, where we spent about 3 hours touring the school and meeting with the academic advisor and the coaches. Then the 3 coaches, my husband, my DD and me sat down in the head coaches office and she said to us, we want your DD to play here, and we are offering an athletic scholarship. They gave is till the end of that week to decide and then they would move down their list. My DD had already decided on the drive home, she was going to accept the offer.
We went on 2 unofficial visits during the summer to some other colleges, after those visits the coaches said you're in a handful of players we are looking at. (which means they are interested but maybe looking for something better)
According to my DD's travel ball coach, it's a waste of time to attend camps, so we never did it. (we were planning on going to one but he actually discouraged us from wasting the money)

It sounds like you are already doing the right things by playing on a high level team and attending showcase tourneys. Keep writing the coaches and giving them your schedule before each event.

Anyway, that has been our recruiting experience for the past 6 months.

Good Luck with your journey.

PS..this is a gook link to D1 verbals by conference.

http://robocoach.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=2772456

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06