What's your take on commiting to a college at 13

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I think what Tennessee and others are doing with the early verbals will force the NCAA to do something. Tennessee might plan on having 25-30 kids on their roster in the coming years, but looking at GoldFastpitch or Full Count Softball and it appears more like they’re giving verbals and commitments without any intention of having players around until they graduate.

I heard through the grapevine that at the NFCA in December that a restriction was being considered for when students can verbally commit to a school. Interestingly, I heard it was the committee that is headed by Karen Weekly. Is this just a rumor or is there some truth to this? If so, it is quite ironic.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
I know if the college my daughter wants to go gives her an offer she is committing (but she is about to be a junior).

I say to each is their own and the decision rest completely on the parents. Hopefully it is a mutual agreement between child and guardians (parents - who ever raising the child).

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Interesting situation with football:

When Urban Meyer left the SEC for Ohio State, he continued common SEC practices, such as recruiting kids who had verballed to other schools.

The coach at Wisconsin, Bret Bellima, sent out a really scathing press release condemning Meyer for poaching students from other Big 10 schools. Bellima said this is NOT the way gentlemen recruit, and is NOT the Big 10 way.

A few months later, Bellima leaves Wisconsin for Arkansas.

Soon afterwards, Bellima is poaching kids who had verballed to other schools, including Wisconsin.

SO, does poaching happen much in softball?

Poaching kids? Only the NLI means anything. Softball is going the way of football where kids who have gave a verbal to a school change their minds or are lured to another school. The coaches have nobody to blame but themselves.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Verbally Committing to college at 13 is the modern equivalent of an arranged marriage and will be banned in the near future. I don't fault those that do it, but I do fault the system that allows it.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Verbally Committing to college at 13 is the modern equivalent of an arranged marriage and will be banned in the near future. I don't fault those that do it, but I do fault the system that allows it.

Why do you figure it will be banned in the near future? It's been going on in football for decades. It would be next to impossible to enforce a ban on verbals.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I think a lot of things have been going on for decades and will change soon in college sports. By soon I mean within 10 years. I recognize the glacial Pace of NCAA reform measures. But I just see a growng awareness that the college sports machine has veered too far into exploitation of athletes and will change significantly. This is far broader than just verbals. I could be wrong, i usually am.

Jun 24, 2011
The only advantage that I see in verballing to a college at 13 is for bragging rights for the girl and her parents.

I'd add bragging rights for some travel organizations into the mix. In my neck of the woods, being able to tout early commitments is an enticement to persuade families to join the organization, not to mention being a feather in the cap of those coaches who offer private lessons.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If a 13 year-old is offered a full ride to her dream school I do not have a problem with her verballing early, but everyone needs to understand that verballing early gives all of the advantages to the school.

1) School gets a player of need committed to the program.
2) Coaches continue to recruit other players, positions, classes.
3) Commitments are non-binding so there is very little consequence if a school rescinds the offer.
4) Player essentially shuts down their recruiting efforts thinking they are set.
5) Grades are a consideration and no 13 year-old has a transcript or SAT/ACT score.
6) Getting into school does not guarantee you admission into the major of choice.
7) Any changes to the coaching staff and all bets are off.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I'd add bragging rights for some travel organizations into the mix. In my neck of the woods, being able to tout early commitments is an enticement to persuade families to join the organization, not to mention being a feather in the cap of those coaches who offer private lessons.

The same can be said for teams that go to PGF and ASA nationals. The organization and team benefits a lot more than the individual players.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors