Whats the going rate for hitting lessons now?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Heck, I have spent the last 2 days hunting down bats for the girls. ;) I have no overhead. I am not tied into set hours at a facility and I just want enough money to buy my Starbucks coffee, each day. My days are spent raising my GDD.

I don't know of any of my students that could afford expensive lessons. Two of my current girls paid a membership at a local facility and all that they learned was to squish the bug.

Oct 4, 2014
I do both pitching and hitting. 30 minutes is ideal, imo. more than that typically leads to the student losing concentration. I like to concentrate on 1 or 2 things per lesson. now with that said, I expect the students to be warmed up with parent or friend prior to starting so that the 30 mins are all instruction. after the 30 mins I spend about 5 to 10 mins going over the lesson and the homework the student should do prior to coming back. so that might mean 40 mins total but I guess I don't count the last 10. I also take videos of the girls and send student the video with what she is doing right and what to fix. usually about an additional 15 to 20 minutes of my time at home on computer. I charge $30 per half hour of instruction for both hitting and pitching.

I've always been skeptical of what can be accomplished in terms of teaching a kid how to hit or pitch in 30 minutes. I might have my kid hit for only a half-hour, but that's when she's doing it right, and we're not having to stop and fix something. 45 minutes to an hour seems much more realistic in terms of teaching and reinforcing. My kid goes to a pitching lesson that is nominally a half-hour, but it's combined with a team mate, so it goes a full hour. Although she's not throwing the full hour, she's hearing and watching the other kid as they take turns.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Was the hitting coach a top performing hitter in college or the pros? If not, it appears that the guitar teacher is way more qualified, yet he charges about the same. I see plenty of "batting coaches" around here that run travel ball teams or who played at the local state college, moonlight with hitting lessons. Noting at all wrong with that, but people pay a bunch of money for something that isn't nearly as hard to learn as a musical instrument.

Hey Strike2, I've never met this hitting instructor before. All I know about him is he's the hitting instructor for a small college where I live and he's a Combat rep. I got the information on him from my DD's pitching coach which we've gone to for the last 4 years. He swears by this guy and says my DD will definitely benefit from going to him and he knows my DD pretty well. That's all I know. Guess I'll spend the $60 and get to know him a little better. I've blown $60 many times before. Appreciate everyone's replies.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
We pay $35 per hour for a group lesson with 2 other girls. Our lessons are with a D1 head coach. Would happily pay double that for the quality instruction we are receiving.

Jan 24, 2010
We pay $30 per hour. Sometimes there's 4 girls sometimes only 1 or 2. Same price each time. The girls run through stations and he pays attention to everyone. Very happy with him and we've been going to him for 3 years (would've been 5 years but for a 2 year break where DD didn't play ball).

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Thanks for asking the question. I am paying $45 for a half-hour - greater metro Atlanta. Now I am wondering if I am paying too much!

Your welcome. If you're happy and are seeing positive results only you can answer that...does sound like a lot though, I ask my question based on $60 per hour !

Apr 17, 2014
Ross Ohio
My DD's hitting coach is also the Pitching/Assistant coach on the Varsity team at the high school she'll be going to next year. For 1 on 1 instruction at $20 an hour she's made a huge impact on my DD's swing.

Jun 18, 2013
Was the hitting coach a top performing hitter in college or the pros? If not, it appears that the guitar teacher is way more qualified, yet he charges about the same. I see plenty of "batting coaches" around here that run travel ball teams or who played at the local state college, moonlight with hitting lessons. Noting at all wrong with that, but people pay a bunch of money for something that isn't nearly as hard to learn as a musical instrument.

The only private hitting coach we have used was a local college baseball coach who is very highly regarded and was the off season hitting coach for a recently retired MLB baseball player that batted above .250 and hit 200 HRs. He worked with my DS for a year and I have taken most of that and rolled it into what I am teaching my DD right now. We did some lessons with a local college pitcher when my DD was first trying to decide if she wanted to pitch that were around the same price range, but since she has decided not to pitch we are not doing those anymore. After we get done with All Star season we might do some private hitting instruction for her between seasons. I haven't decided yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan