What would you have done?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I'd be picking up his assistant coach for your team, after all she is a great recruiting tool. I am sure how he is talking about her is getting around town and its only a matter of time before she hears about it.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
OK, so I'm not always a "high road guy." I'd go sit in the stands and then meander along the sidelines talking and "hobnobbing" with the parents as their dds tryout. That would drive him crazy. Naturally, I'd have to wear my team shirt while doing so. Every now then if I could catch him looking, I might lean over and say something to whomever and then smile.

That's what I wanted to do. My Wife on the other hand told me NO. In an effort to stay married to the person who supports me most I am going with her recommendation. :) But man would it have been fun to do what you are suggesting.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
That's what I wanted to do. My Wife on the other hand told me NO. In an effort to stay married to the person who supports me most I am going with her recommendation. :) But man would it have been fun to do what you are suggesting.

I understand. My wife and I have been married for 30+ years now. What we agreed to so many moons ago is that once in a while I'm going to have a "Darrell moment" and she knows that nothing is going to change that. I try not to have them too often but when I do, they are typically legendary. You might see if you can work on some kind of agreement like that.:D

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
I understand. My wife and I have been married for 30+ years now. What we agreed to so many moons ago is that once in a while I'm going to have a "Darrell moment" and she knows that nothing is going to change that. I try not to have them too often but when I do, they are typically legendary. You might see if you can work on some kind of agreement like that.:D

I like it. Thanks. I will negotiate with the tower on that one. :)

Apr 16, 2013
long post ahead sorry

We hosted a small tournament last February, and with a similar circumstance. We have had some players that have quit our local team ( currently moving to 12U but have had core 8 players together since 8 U) to move to a team that the Coach used us and our team as recruiting tool.
Just some background, I am an AC of our team and have coached with this team since 8U. When we were moving up we had a 10 yr old player's mother that approached our coaches basically begging to play with our team the following year in 10U.
She was a pitcher and had played with the team the previous year, but was moved up due to age. She was a great kid and a pitcher that we could rely on until our younger girls developed. We welcomed her with open arms.
We began fall ball and another 10 yr old pitcher's grand dad approached our head coach to find a team for his grand daughter, they also had played for our team years before. The Grand Dad had been the head coach of a team that quit on him in the USFA Worlds in Panama, literally walked off the field. She was a very talented pitcher as well.
His promise to our head coach was that he only wanted his Granddaughter to play with us and him assist with pitching for our younger pitchers. Our head coach allowed it. After the final game of fall ball we find out Grand Dad has been coaching our other pitcher on the side, and was reforming a team. He used fall ball as a means to recruit and pulled players from not only our team but any other he could get his hooks in on. He is pure slime. So we lose both pitchers we planned on having in spring, but no worries we struggle through 10U with no pitching for a while.
So our girls are struggling and basically walking max runs in for the first few tournaments as 9 years olds, getting our teeth kicked in. We have a Dad of a girl who is our age (9 yr old at the time),approach us wanting to try out and practice with us. We try her out and let her pitch for us a few tourney's and she is really good. We end up beating several teams we shouldn't with her pitching but her dad is the biggest A**hole ever, one of those "Have fun sweetie, sweetie you aren't throwing as hard as you can, come on you are all we got." types dads. So we end our Season with a 2nd place finish, against a 10U team moving up to 12 U, beat multiple teams we normally wouldn't have, but we didn't pitch his daughter. We lost by 1 run.
Come fall we arrange a small, free fall league for a few teams in our area. The pitchers dad calls our head coach and says they tried out for the previous Grand pa's team and he has more time to work with his daughter. Now the 3 pitchers he stole were some of the top pitchers in our state at there age, not just our area.
So after all this crap, we host a tournament in February (It's the south Feb is reasonable for tourney play), the team has the audacity to place fliers up advertising tryouts. We made them remove them. Not nicely either. People in this sport can be terribly horrible when things come to lineups. Our team stays together and has learned a lot from these experiences. Goodl luck.

Last edited:

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
@ GeauxJeaux it has become ridiculous. The lies I have begun to see in others tryouts posts online and the crap said about other teams behind their back is amazing. I cannot believe parents do not do the research or ask questions on this stuff.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd