What would you have done?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Apologies for the lengthy post.
What would you have done? (Humor is okay too :))
Last week we held our early summer tryouts. We were a 10U team moving up to 12U. In this tryout we are typically opening the team up to Rec Ball Players who are interested in Travel Ball. We are looking for the diamonds in the rough before they settle into Summer and are still prepared and motivated from playing all Spring.

So I showed up early and set up the field and prepared to sign in players/families. As I was signing up people I noticed an opposing 12U TB coach from within our park setting up signs for his tryouts. Conveniently, they are the night after mine (tomorrow). His signs are every 50 feet walking into the field areas. Some are 3 feet tall and leaning against every light pole or fence corner he could fill. He then sets up with some kids as if in a practice on the field next to us. For the entire time we are hosting our tryouts he is yelling and being as loud as he can to announce HIS tryouts for all to hear. About 45 minutes into to our tryout I look over to notice he has moved all his signs in near the field he is on and turned them around so all the recruits we have out could see them as they walked out when we were done.

I was caught off guard by his actions. I have known him for 4 years now. I have coached his DD and thought we were on good terms. One of my assistants was very upset by his actions and I was not sure why. I later found out from two different people (one of them my assistant) that this guy has been talking trash about his players, his assistant coach and me as a coach to anyone who will listen. He has done this at a local sports store where I have a great relationship with the owner. The owner told me about it. I also found out because he showed up at my assistant's DD's Middle School Feeder team tryouts to recruit. While there he talked trash about all the above mentioned people with him and others. My assistant got so upset he had to walk away from him. He said things like, "My assistant coach is a bad coach but a great recruiting tool." This is because she played Division I ball in the 90's and he readily throws this out there for all to know. He has also said weird stuff like, "(Me) is not dedicated to his players. He is only dedicated to the Team." ????Really????? I thought this was a team sport?

Everyone says to let it go and ignore him but I really am tired of these antics. It would be nice just once to actually speak my mind and be as rude to him as he has been to me. Never in a million years would I have thought a coach would go as low as to show up in person and advertise his team's tryouts during mine as a way of recruiting. Is this something you guys feel is okay? Is this something you would've tolerated? I know he will eventually hang himself but sometimes I wish others would call him out as being out of line.

Jul 12, 2012
On the bleachers
If I were at a tryout with my DD and that was going on we both would make eye contact with eachother and think, "What in the world?! He is 10 shades of crazy! No thanks! " The car ride home she would ask, "what was wrong with that guy?" I wouldn't feed his nuttiness by adressing it. He is digging himself a very deep hole that will be difficult to get out of especially in the TB community. Keep your integrity as a coach and be true to who you are.

Jun 24, 2013
Wow. What a wacko. I would have called all of the parents over and tell them this at the end of the tryouts:
"I hope the antics of that crazy coach over there did not bother you too much. He is having trouble getting girls to come to his team or stay on his team and you can probably see why. I enjoyed out practice tonight and I will be letting you know the results of the tryouts soon. Does anyone have any questions?"

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would have called all the parents and players together at the tryout and said something to the effect of...."please excuse Coach XXXX on the other field. He is just jealous of the success of our team, and is trying his best to figure out how to catch up."

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Sounds like a desperate and pathetic attempt. That behavior should speak volumes to anyone with any kind of common decency. And if he does in fact persuade a family over away from you...that's probably a kid your not gonna want to keep anyway (acorns fall close to the tree)

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Do exactly what your AC did....walk away and don't get involved in any kind of petty back and forth...take the high road!!

or the low road:

mm23.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy