What would you do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
DD1 played for an out of state team in 16's. She practiced with DD2 team and also worked out on her own. We got her over there for games and weekend workouts. Then for 18's she got on an 18Gold team that only practiced on Sat/Sun when they weren't playing. That Coach believed in girls getting their homework done during the week and getting good grades. DD2 has 2 to 2.5 hour practice 2 times a week. The other days are hitting, pitching and speed/agility. On DD2 team, everyone takes ground balls and works on outfield. Pitchers and catchers work before main practice. I don't think DD1 or DD2 would ever want to be on a team that didn't practice or practice infrequently.

Feb 7, 2013
At 12U you shouldn't have to be told/shown how to do them more than a couple of times if you are paying attention. 8U and maybe 10U yes, it will take more time just because they don't seem
to retain information as well at that age but once they start hitting middle school age it should stick fairly quickly, IMO.

Your participating in a sport I am not familiar with....IME it takes a lot of reps to be a very good defensive team. I don't know how many practices my DD has attended where runners are put on base and the coach calls out different scenarios (ex. 1 out, runner on 2nd) and hits the ball to various infielders and outfielders who are expected to make the correct play. This is not something you get good at after a "couple of times". But I guess it depends on how well prepared you want your team to be?

Jun 8, 2016
Your participating in a sport I am not familiar with....IME it takes a lot of reps to be a very good defensive team. I don't know how many practices my DD has attended where runners are put on base and the coach calls out different scenarios (ex. 1 out, runner on 2nd) and hits the ball to various infielders and outfielders who are expected to make the correct play. This is not something you get good at after a "couple of times". But I guess it depends on how well prepared you want your team to be?

Sure but at 12U they would have gone through these scenarios numerous times at 8U and 10U both in practice and games right? I agree at the younger ages situational stuff needs to be drilled into them. Maybe 12U isn't the cutoff
maybe it is 14U. I am just going on what I experienced growing up playing baseball...then again I used to watch games on TV all the time as a youth and you learn that way too. Maybe it is different now.

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
DD1 played for an out of state team in 16's. She practiced with DD2 team and also worked out on her own. We got her over there for games and weekend workouts. Then for 18's she got on an 18Gold team that only practiced on Sat/Sun when they weren't playing. That Coach believed in girls getting their homework done during the week and getting good grades. DD2 has 2 to 2.5 hour practice 2 times a week. The other days are hitting, pitching and speed/agility. On DD2 team, everyone takes ground balls and works on outfield. Pitchers and catchers work before main practice. I don't think DD1 or DD2 would ever want to be on a team that didn't practice or practice infrequently.
My DDs have played for very good teams that almost never practiced once the season started. They have played for average teams that felt the need to practice all the time. Maybe needed because the team was not that good.

The teams that didn't practice were 16U and 18U with girls from all over who were all good ballplayers. They showed up for tournaments and played. At 12U I think it is probably important to practice. At the older age groups you can quickly go over how you want to cover bunts, handle cuts, etc... right before a tournament. The girls know how to play ball and don't need to have their hands held.

Many think that the most important decisions a coach makes are during tryouts and I probably agree with that. Most good teams at 16U and 18U are loaded with good players. They aren't good because they have two practices per week.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Aug 5, 2012
My suggestion is look for a new team. Your DD is at an age where she needs guidance on developing as a player in Al aspects of the game.
I coach a development team and we pride ourselves as coaches on the number of players we help get promoted to the premiere teams. If we only played games, that goal would be much, much harder.
Besides learning plays, like the various first and third plays, etc .., all players need to rework the fundamentals of fielding and hitting. And most importantly, we preach that practice is that safe zone where we expect you to push your limitations and fail repeatedly. Practice is vital as a team and individual.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Jul 30, 2014
My suggestion is look for a new team. Your DD is at an age where she needs guidance on developing as a player in Al aspects of the game.
I coach a development team and we pride ourselves as coaches on the number of players we help get promoted to the premiere teams. If we only played games, that goal would be much, much harder.
Besides learning plays, like the various first and third plays, etc .., all players need to rework the fundamentals of fielding and hitting. And most importantly, we preach that practice is that safe zone where we expect you to push your limitations and fail repeatedly. Practice is vital as a team and individual.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

This is what we experienced with the other team, and she developed at a fast pace. She was pushed to try to make plays without fear of failure. Diving infield and outfield drills became fun and she started making plays I never would've though she could make. Now, it is almost like the competitive drive has been replaced, with a fear of making a mistake. Which comes from a lack of practice, reps and coaching like she had. The prior coach preached at every practice, that this is a game of failure, which allowed the players to try things without worrying about the outcome. Once that pressure was removed, they all started making great progress and had a lot of confidence. Shame it ended... But that's what happens when you can't see the forest for the trees, myself included. The middle school team has a great coaching staff and she loves to practice with the older girls. For some reason, it drives her to give more effort and do what she sees them do. So, hopefully, she will benefit from their practices and we will look for other options afterwards. Lesson learned... Interview the coach in depth and attend several practices before committing.

Nov 18, 2013
DD played for a couple of pretty strong teams with completely opposite philosophies. One practiced 6-8 hours a day and by the end of the season operated like a finely tuned machine. Another was based 1,100 miles away and DD didn’t attend a single practice. They had such good athletes they could get away with it. Both teams were pretty good on a national level.

My take is that practicing together is crucial through 14U. 16U and 18U the players should be mature enough to work on their own. In college it comes around again where players and teams are developed practicing together.

Feb 7, 2013
Sure but at 12U they would have gone through these scenarios numerous times at 8U and 10U both in practice and games right? I agree at the younger ages situational stuff needs to be drilled into them. Maybe 12U isn't the cutoff
maybe it is 14U. I am just going on what I experienced growing up playing baseball...then again I used to watch games on TV all the time as a youth and you learn that way too. Maybe it is different now.

There is a reason why you see even college teams perform weekly, if not daily, team practices because you are constantly learning and keeping your skills current. If you have ever coached fastpitch you would instantly recognize that there is so much to work on and so little time....

Jun 8, 2016
There is a reason why you see even college teams perform weekly, if not daily, team practices because you are constantly learning and keeping your skills current. If you have ever coached fastpitch you would instantly recognize that there is so much to work on and so little time....

I already said earlier that my college baseball team did have practice during the season on days we did not play but we were not working on various cutoff strategies, pickoff plays, etc. We would do standard
cutoff stuff when we took infield of course but other than it was BP, individual fielding, pitchers/catchers got their work in, etc. Sample size N=1 and this was Div III so mileage may vary of course.

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
I absolutely believe in the value of practice. However, when it comes to TB and teams with players from all over it can be impossible to get them together except for tournaments.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13