What would DD do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I find the whole thing kind of strange. When is the last the team has practiced? When will they practice/play again if the weather goes back to normal? Don't really see the point in playing 2 random games which are likely bracketed by fairly large periods of inactivity...

Apr 1, 2017
Considering the dd is concerned about leaving the team short handed tells me she understands the greater good over her friends day. That in itself is pretty neat!

Why is choosing "the team" the greater good though? Teams have schedules, season, etc., and she completed that commitment for the fall. We all juggle schedules to make things work, but it seems unreasonable to me for the coach to just add something. I think the coach should have checked with the team before deciding to schedule something "out of season", especially if the numbers were thin during the season.

Apr 1, 2017
I find the whole thing kind of strange. When is the last the team has practiced? When will they practice/play again if the weather goes back to normal? Don't really see the point in playing 2 random games which are likely bracketed by fairly large periods of inactivity...

I agree with this. I realize things will vary by team, but our team played their last game Oct. 28th. November/December is typically a "dead period" for us. My guess is, the majority of the team hasn't touched a softball since the last game.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Why is choosing "the team" the greater good though? Teams have schedules, season, etc., and she completed that commitment for the fall. We all juggle schedules to make things work, but it seems unreasonable to me for the coach to just add something. I think the coach should have checked with the team before deciding to schedule something "out of season", especially if the numbers were thin during the season.
Greater= more people involved.
She is considering that.

Wether you think a schedule change is ok or not.
Shes considering the people!

imo
this isnt about the season ending or next year or any of that.
Its a softball player recognizing on this day she could make the difference of the whole team playing or not.
She is recognizing that!

Simply
I'm pointing out part of the posters details.

Aug 6, 2013
But, as I tried to explain to DS the other night, the difference between good and great is actually loving the game (or instrument or whatever) more than anything else, wanting to do it or practice or play rather than do any other activity. While my DD loves playing, it's never been her absolute top priority. We know girls to whom softball is.

My DD is crazy talented. 15 playing 18’s and one of the top 3 in batting and the best 1B and yet your 2nd to last line describes my DD perfectly. Kinda drives me crazy but that’s for another thread I think. In this case I would encourage her to go with her friends.

Jun 8, 2016
My DD is crazy talented. 15 playing 18’s and one of the top 3 in batting and the best 1B and yet your 2nd to last line describes my DD perfectly. Kinda drives me crazy but that’s for another thread I think. In this case I would encourage her to go with her friends.
There is a fine line here. Not living and breathing a sport, to the point where it defines you, sometimes makes the inevitable failures easier to get over 🤷‍♂️

Mar 10, 2020
There is a fine line here. Not living and breathing a sport, to the point where it defines you, sometimes makes the inevitable failures easier to get over 🤷‍♂️
Not following this. Does it say dont give a damn and it wont matter.

Jun 8, 2016
Not following this. Does it say dont give a damn and it wont matter.
No hence the fine line part..It means care enough to work your rear off but not so much that when you fail it consumes you to the point that you no longer want to play because the fear of failure ruins all the fun.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying