What would be the right game time length in travel ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2019
Let's be honest, the rules of the game are meant to be for a 7 inning game. I would LOVE to play a tournament like that. However, the TD would need to charge an arm and a leg for it and limit the number of teams or get a large number of fields/facilites. That said, around my area, the average is 70 or 75 minutes finish the inning.
USSSA in our area has 7 inning tournaments. Looks like the price is about the same but format is 2/1 rather than the usual 3/1 or 2/2. From last season’s participation, they don’t seem too popular.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018
Texas
USSSA in our area has 7 inning tournaments. Looks like the price is about the same but format is 2/1 rather than the usual 3/1 or 2/2. From last season’s participation, they don’t seem too popular.
Maybe the coaches/parents think that the 3/1 or 2/2 is a better deal? it does come down to what people sign up for.

Apr 20, 2015

In my area usssa is the lower level of softball and few teams have enough pitching to play 7 innings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Teams must have 3 plus pitchers to competel in a losers bracket.. The others teams are practicing in borderline arm abuse.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Which ones are specifically targeted for 7 innings?
All of them. Until Travel Ball was invented to cater to the Big D1 P5 schools (initially), the game was played for 7 innings, much like baseball for 9 innings. Just because baseball has now transitioned to Travel Ball as well at the younger ages to cater to college athletic scholarships doesn't mean that the rules changed from their initial intentions.

Jun 8, 2016
All of them. Until Travel Ball was invented to cater to the Big D1 P5 schools (initially), the game was played for 7 innings, much like baseball for 9 innings. Just because baseball has now transitioned to Travel Ball as well at the younger ages to cater to college athletic scholarships doesn't mean that the rules changed from their initial intentions.
Yeah I know the history..thanks. So tell me how the rules are setup for 7 innings vs 5 (for example). Notice I bolded the 7 in my initial response.

I agree that softball was designed to be untimed but saying that the rules are designed for a specific number of untimed innings is a bit of a stretch IMO..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06