What to do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It has been my experience (and yours may be different) that you make more enemies than friends, by being a pick up player. The team that she goes to may have someone that is mad because she is there and the same thing can be said for the team she is currently on.

You already know that her current coach isn't going to approve, so if she is ready to cut those ties, go for it. But be ready to pitch games that are out of reach, or travel a great distance and not play at all.

Be sure and ask the new team's coach what his intentions are as to games and innings that your daughter may pitch and will the normal #1, be cool with being on the bench?

Good luck. I used to do this with my oldest son, but it wasn't what I thought it would be. We didn't do it with our other kids.

Jun 16, 2010
For that matter she could get hurt getting out of bed in the morning, she could choke eating breakfast or slip in the shower. She can't live in a bubble. She also playes for her school soccer team and basketball in the upcoming season. With your logic she couldn't do that either. You are certainly are entitled to your opion but I couldn't disagree more.

No, thats totally different. For many teams there are nationals coming up in a couple weeks. Keeping everyone healthy and ready to go and give it the teams best effort at nationals is the focus right now. Aggressive players are always risking injury to win, especially the aggressive baserunners. We have several girls with broken fingers during the year, sprained ankles, sprained kees, pitchers that take shots to the elbow, etc. Parents have to focus on keeping their kids healthy and ready to compete right now, this is what they looked forward too all season. With nationals 3.5 wks away, only 2 weeks if you are playing a world series thing, there isnt time to recover from injuries now.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Be sure and ask the new team's coach what his intentions are as to games and innings that your daughter may pitch and will the normal #1, be cool with being on the bench?

100% agree with Amy...you had better get it written in blood exactly what your DD will or won't do. Ask specific questions such as, "When will my DD play? What games will she pitch?"

I suspect the coach of the 12U team will give preference to his #1 and #2 pitcher.

Oct 18, 2009
It's a tough place to be in. You need to do whats best for your DD. Trust me when I say this... only YOU are the one who really cares whats best for her. An experience to go to a national could be great for you and her. You guys can see who's out there and she can get some great experience against some top competition. On the other hand if the 14u coach will dismiss her for her playing on the other team then you need to make your decision carefully if your plans are to stay with them.

Jun 21, 2010
You need to do whats best for your DD. Trust me when I say this... only YOU are the one who really cares whats best for her.

Bingo! Any coach who is doing it for the betterment of his players should WANT you go, if it didn't interfere with his team. If not, maybe you should look for a different team, anyway.

I also agree with finding out how the new coach intends to use her, though. If she is only an "insurance" policy, it may not be worth the time and expense. If she can play other positions, make sure the new coach knows that as well.

Jul 5, 2010
We decided not to go play with the 12U team. Never mentioned to her current coach. She's in a good situation were she is, good players around her, good quality coaching, she is the #1 pitcher and gets plenty of mount time. It just wasn't worth messing up her current situation.

As it turns out the 12U team is moving up to 14U after the World series event and they were trying to recruit her after all. I guess her coach might not be so wrong about guest playing after all.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Amy you are so correct... I would never think to pick up a player just to win. I only use pick up players when I have to due to being shorthanded. My thought is use what got you there. It can cause too much drama on the team. If you need them then sure... If you want them then naw I'll pass.

Sep 3, 2009
We decided not to go play with the 12U team. Never mentioned to her current coach. She's in a good situation were she is, good players around her, good quality coaching, she is the #1 pitcher and gets plenty of mount time. It just wasn't worth messing up her current situation.

As it turns out the 12U team is moving up to 14U after the World series event and they were trying to recruit her after all. I guess her coach might not be so wrong about guest playing after all.

That's too bad, would have been a great experience. It's interesting to read all the negative comments about guest playing. My dd has had both types of coaches. The coach this year encouraged all of his players to guest play. If they did, he made a point to talk with them about it, if they learned anything, made any good plays, etc. From our experience, we've made alot of friends in the community through it that we probably would not have otherwise. Sure there were a few offers to jump ship and join the guest team. If a coach feels he/she has to lock his players down on off weekends to keep them from jumping ship, either they weren't a very good coach, or the player has questionable loyalty. Either way, it's not a good situation for both parties. It's unfortunate to read so many negative comments about it, ours haven't been anything like that.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
That's too bad, would have been a great experience. It's interesting to read all the negative comments about guest playing. My dd has had both types of coaches. The coach this year encouraged all of his players to guest play. If they did, he made a point to talk with them about it, if they learned anything, made any good plays, etc. From our experience, we've made alot of friends in the community through it that we probably would not have otherwise. Sure there were a few offers to jump ship and join the guest team. If a coach feels he/she has to lock his players down on off weekends to keep them from jumping ship, either they weren't a very good coach, or the player has questionable loyalty. Either way, it's not a good situation for both parties. It's unfortunate to read so many negative comments about it, ours haven't been anything like that.

But that may have been because they NEEDED her help... it's way different than picking up a player to attend Nats and starting her over the kids that actually got you there. Those situations usually don't end up very good, and you don't make a lot of friends when that happens. My DD has also had good experiences being a pick up player, but that was because she was needed on the team (didn't have enough girls to play in the Tournament).

Jul 9, 2010
My DD did exactly what you described, except she was on a 16U team, and had an opportunity to play 14U WS. Her team elected not to play Nationals, as that was when all the parents decided to take a "summer break" and take a little family time. We were very disappointed, and I told the coach we intended to look for a WS pick=up. I'm not sure he exactly loved it, but he also knew that we weren't leaving the team. For us, playing in the States with the team, and one other tourney was also required.

They picked her up as a pitcher, and as a backup 1B. After 2 innings at 1B in the first game, she played 1B the whole entire 3 tourneys with them, and never pitched. She was an insurance policy at pitcher, but evidently, 1B had been sort of a blackhole for them, which she filled.

The other 1B's on the team were a little resentful, but honestly, she didn't make playing time assignments, so it wasn't really our issue. I think the other pitchers normally filled in there, but having my DD play there kept them fresher, and they accepted that. On the whole, it made the team better for that reason, and they were OK with it.

We actually had a really good time, and were grateful to have the chance to do it. When her team started back up, you could tell who had been playing for the past month and who hadn't.

As a TB coach myself, I wouldn't hold a kid back from playing an event like a WS or a Nationals because of my stubborn pride.

As for injuries - my DD is more likely to klutz herself into an injury walking through the kitchen. She's much more coordinated between the lines.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414