What to do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2010
My DD is currently playing for a 14U Travel team where she is the starting pitcher. She is still 12U eligible and has been asked to play for a 12U A bracket team in a World Series event that with her they could possibly win. The problem is that her current coach is going to be very unhappy about this situation. We aren’t looking to leave her current team but he doesn’t like his players playing for other teams for fear of losing them. She would not miss any of her current teams events to go play with the other team. I don't want to make her miss out on an opportunity to experience a World Series event. There is a chance that he may actually kick her off the team if she goes. What to do?

Dec 15, 2009
A coach shouldn't be like that. A coach should want his players to grow and learn. And this is a great opportunity for her. If I were her, I'd go to the event. If her coach kicks her off the team, then maybe you could get a spot on the team that's going to the world series.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I wouldn't go. I am a stickler for being true to my team. I wouldn't want to cause problems.

Also, the coach has a point. He doesn't know if she is going to be overused, not used, taught something different or go off and join this team.

Jun 22, 2010
SE. Georgia
Whew, tough decision, It is however a good spot to be in, that means she is good. My only advice would be to make sure that she is behind your decision and if she does play for the other team that you try your hardest not to burn bridges., and explain that it is in the best interest of your DD, and will not effect her commitment to her 1st team and teammates. It is easy for someone to say to stay loyal to team 1, however has that coached always put his loyalty first??? or has he always put winning first?? that is a question you need to ask yourself.

Jul 5, 2010
Communication is the key. You seem to know exactly what the HC intentions are, but maybe you're wrong. I would leverage your DD's desires to the HC and see what his thoughts are. Make sure you are prepared though prior to the meeting, and I would do it in person, and not via email or phone, or text... lol... The reason I'd say leverage your DD's desires is because she is younger then the HC's regular crew, (I'm assuming), and this could be a once in a lifetime opportunity. In order to be successful, you'll need to be able to state your point in such a way that the HC feels comfortable that you will not be leaving, and that the HC feels it will better his situation in the future.. I'm sure you've already thought of this, but the experience your DD would get playing at that level is priceless, and you could tell that to your HC... High pressure situations are always a growing opportunity.. GOOD LUCK!!! and as a minimum, remember that family always comes first.. I'm sure there are plenty of teams out there your DD would be able to play for, especially if she's already playing up...

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Look, this is nothing new for a good pitcher to be picked up to play in a WS. It's an honor.

I've always allowed my players to go play for someone anytime we take a weekend off as a team. It's no big deal. I've never lost a player because of this since 8u. We are now 14u.

Go and have fun.

Mar 15, 2010
I am not sure how WS eligibility works but you should make sure being regeistered on two teams does not cause a problem. Had an issue this year with a 14U player who was ruled inelgible for my All Star team as she was registered on a travel team that played a tournament on May 1st. The girl in question did not play that day but it did not matter to ASA as she was registered in the tournament.

Jun 16, 2010
If she was my pitcher and she did that she wouldnt be my pitcher anymore.

You are risking her getting hurt or injured everytime she steps on the field . She has no business playing for anyone but her own team during the season. If shes thru for the season with the 14U that would be different. If you still have end of season 14U play coming up, definitely not.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2010
I am not sure how WS eligibility works but you should make sure being regeistered on two teams does not cause a problem. Had an issue this year with a 14U player who was ruled inelgible for my All Star team as she was registered on a travel team that played a tournament on May 1st. The girl in question did not play that day but it did not matter to ASA as she was registered in the tournament.

It is a different sanctioning body than she normaly plays in. She hasn't played there this year so she should be good.

Jul 5, 2010
If she was my pitcher and she did that she wouldnt be my pitcher anymore.

You are risking her getting hurt or injured everytime she steps on the field . She has no business playing for anyone but her own team during the season. If shes thru for the season with the 14U that would be different. If you still have end of season 14U play coming up, definitely not.

For that matter she could get hurt getting out of bed in the morning, she could choke eating breakfast or slip in the shower. She can't live in a bubble. She also playes for her school soccer team and basketball in the upcoming season. With your logic she couldn't do that either. You are certainly are entitled to your opion but I couldn't disagree more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles