What to do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2009
My DD is currently playing for a 14U Travel team where she is the starting pitcher. She is still 12U eligible and has been asked to play for a 12U A bracket team in a World Series event that with her they could possibly win. The problem is that her current coach is going to be very unhappy about this situation. We aren’t looking to leave her current team but he doesn’t like his players playing for other teams for fear of losing them. She would not miss any of her current teams events to go play with the other team. I don't want to make her miss out on an opportunity to experience a World Series event. There is a chance that he may actually kick her off the team if she goes. What to do?

Go for it!! This could be a once in a life time event. There may be more chances for your DD to participate in a WS event at higher levels, but you never know. You stated that she won't miss any of her current teams event and you aren't looking to leave her current team, so I don't see where this is a loyalty issue. This could be the difference between being seen by a college coach or not and getting a scholarship down the road. Her coach should be happy for her, and not just thinking about possibly losing games if she's not there. Just my 2 cents.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
This is one of the topics I disagree with most on. My players play for me as a team. But I do not make them sign their life away and force them not to speak or play with another. I have enough confidence in our success as a team to know they will be back if they pick up for a weekend with another. As a matter of fact I not only encourage them picking up when we are not playing but I usually make the calls to other teams trying to get them game time.

I think coaches that don't allow their players to pick up are selfish and insecure. JMHO.

Do you play for me? YES. Are you my property? NO.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2009
This is one of the topics I disagree with most on. My players play for me as a team. But I do not make them sign their life away and force them not to speak or play with another. I have enough confidence in our success as a team to know they will be back if they pick up for a weekend with another. As a matter of fact I not only encourage them picking up when we are not playing but I usually make the calls to other teams trying to get them game time.

I think coaches that don't allow their players to pick up are selfish and insecure. JMHO.

Do you play for me? YES. Are you my property? NO.

You're exactly how my dd's coach this season is. I think we had about 4 or 5 girls who actively guest played this season, and I think it was a good thing. It kept them sharp, and gave them new experiences that they could bring back to the table.

SoftballMomof2

Softball Mom
Aug 16, 2010
My DD has been a pickup player this year quite a few times for other teams and has had a great time doing so! It has been a great experience for her. Her coach was mostly supportive, though did ask her not to "OVER THROW" (pitching wise - , which normally he has her through 3 to 4 games in a day at 10U).

Point being, such a big event would be an amazing opportunity! I would go if that is something she wants to do!

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
My DD has been a pickup player this year quite a few times for other teams and has had a great time doing so! It has been a great experience for her. Her coach was mostly supportive, though did ask her not to "OVER THROW" (pitching wise - , which normally he has her through 3 to 4 games in a day at 10U).

Point being, such a big event would be an amazing opportunity! I would go if that is something she wants to do!
If your coach has a 10 YO pitching 3-4 games in one day on a regular basis you need to find a new team.
That's ridiculous and borderline abusive. Your child is not a machine and you should not be risking her long term health for a 10 U softball team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00