What to do with pitchers with all different coaches???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2009
We have pitchers with all different coaches. None come to the games, but the girls find themselves in a bind in games (10U)...

How do you go about geting them to fix their pitches when you aren't really sure what their coaches are telling them at their lessons, and mommy and daddy are paying good money for those coaches??

I feel like my hands are tied...

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
The best advice I got was at a coaches clinic hosted by deb hartwig here in SoCal. She told the coaches (most don't know anything about pitching) to ask your pitcher or their parents, what does her coach tell her to do when she is struggling? Whether it be stand tall, step and drag, whatever. Each pitching coach usually has certain things they say to their students to help them fix a problem. Use that terminology and it might help.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I see a great many of my students pitch, but I never see a coach go out and talk to them. There was one time, when I have walked past the dugout and said "Go out there and tell her to lengthen her stride."

But to approach a girl that isn't your student I guess I would say "What pitches are you working on at lessons? Have you worked on hitting your spots? What change up are you throwing? You know about the power line, right?" "You need to stay open towards 3rd. You are closing to early." Etc.

Sometimes the pitcher just needs for you to come out and ask what is wrong. Then, you do a lot of smiling and nodding. I ask "Do you need to come out?" (but, only if I have someone to go in.) :)

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
In a game yesterday, I could see that my pitcher was on the verge of tears. I called time out and went to the circle with the catcher. I asked her why she was so upset. She said "I'm not pitching good". I told her that we (the team) all knew she could do it and it was not her job to strike out every hitter. I told her to concentrate on what her PC taught her and to trust her defense. There was never any question of her coming out - she just "needed a hug". Next 2 batters - ground ball outs. At this time of year, it's not Nationals or the WCWS. Keep it simple and supportive.

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
We are fortunate enough we have a pitching coach on our team, though he isn't the indivdual PC of any of our pitchers, he took the time and met with their individual pitching coaches. from that and the real time game experience, now at this point, 16u he can help them through any minor trouble they experience. Years ago at 12U, one of our very good throwers was having some issues with her control during a semi-final game, it was very uncharacteristic of her. I called time and strolled out to the mound. when i got there her head was down, i said hey, what do you want for Christmas? She said what, like was hit in the head....i repeated my question..She kinda shook her head and laughed and said what it was she wanted. I turned and walked away. She pitched brillantly the next 3 innings. We won 3-2.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I totally disagree with SoCalBlue's approach. Take the kid out, sit her on the bench, let her calm down, and then put her back out there when she has calmed down.

It is dishonest for a coach to go out to the mound and say, "Gee, everything is OK, don't worry about it." Because, in fact, the coach is determining whether the kid can pitch. If the coach decides she can't pitch, her playing time will go down or she will be replaced.

The parents and the child have to know "the truth"--if the child does not pitch well on the mound, she is going to be taken out. They need to see a direct relationship between the task (pitching), the reward for pitching well (getting to pitch more) and the penalty for poor performance (getting less pitching time).

If the kids have pitching coaches, then the pitching coach has to fix the kid. When the parents see their child being taken out of the game, then they will go to the pitching coach and demand that the child be taught how to pitch.

Feb 9, 2009
I have to agree that when a kid is on the verge of tears, or actualy has tears in her eyes, then I would take her out.

We had a girl that was having serious control issues, and it was pretty easy to see that she was too open on her release. I wanted to say something so bad, but the other coaches on the team wouldn't have it. We, as the coaches, have no idea what she is being taught by her VERY expensive pitching coach. You can read this board and understand that everyone has their own way of doing things, and who knew if she was doing it his way or not????!!! And was it my place to correct what I (as a non-pitching coach) could see was wrong? Neither parent came over to give us any insight, so I don't know if THEY even know...
And then another pitcher was lagging behind on her release to planting her foot, and her dad came over and told me that they are working on that; to remind her. When I did, all was good!
It's just frustrating to feel like you can't help them out in the circle because it may hose up what their PC is trying to get them to do....

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Stephanie: Observe the struggles the girls are having and report back to
the respective PC. At 10U, control is a problem the majority of the time.
PC like the feedback because some beginning pitchers throw different to
batters than they do to dad on the bucket.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
I totally disagree with SoCalBlue's approach. Take the kid out, sit her on the bench, let her calm down, and then put her back out there when she has calmed down.

It is dishonest for a coach to go out to the mound and say, "Gee, everything is OK, don't worry about it." Because, in fact, the coach is determining whether the kid can pitch. If the coach decides she can't pitch, her playing time will go down or she will be replaced.

The parents and the child have to know "the truth"--if the child does not pitch well on the mound, she is going to be taken out. They need to see a direct relationship between the task (pitching), the reward for pitching well (getting to pitch more) and the penalty for poor performance (getting less pitching time).

If the kids have pitching coaches, then the pitching coach has to fix the kid. When the parents see their child being taken out of the game, then they will go to the pitching coach and demand that the child be taught how to pitch.

Rather than take the "one step fits all" approach I tried to read the situation instead of just reacting and yanking her. But I agree that in certain situations I would have immediately replaced her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06