What to do with a player...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 22, 2012
I coach a 10U rec team and new 10U select team. All 03s and a couple 04s.

I have a girl who is stupid fast. By far the fastest girl in our league or that I've seen in any regional tournaments. She is an outstanding athlete. Having just moved up from 8U this spring, I've switched her to lefty and teaching to slap/drag. It's going very well.

My question is about defense though. She can play anywhere on the field except pitcher. Where do I put her in order to maximize her speed? I'm a big believer in preparing my girls for their future, not just what helps me win this game this season. So do I put her at SS? CF? LF?

Ideas and why would be appreciated.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I had a great lefty a few years back and in the early years, I would give her shots at middle infield. I told her that I was doing it now, because as she aged up, she would not be playing in those positions anymore. 2nd base is a good spot, because they have time to make the turn to go to 1st. SS....not so much. Although there are some, including the girl I had, who could do it.

Let her have some fun on Saturdays for a game. Sunday...put her in the correct position.s

Mar 31, 2013
Chicago
First, don't pigeon hole her yet. Second, how smart is she? If she really gets the game, look for a spot at second. How strong is her arm? SS may be a good position. Can she judge a fly ball? Most outfielders are really good infielders that get pushed to the outfield because there are better players there. Is she loud, is she a leader? Those should all come into play. Does she grasp taking angles to the ball? I know my club team my 3 fastest players are interchangeable between the outfield and all the infield spots as well as behind the plate. My high school team is the middle infield and center field are our fastest players.

Dec 22, 2012
First, don't pigeon hole her yet. Second, how smart is she? If she really gets the game, look for a spot at second. How strong is her arm? SS may be a good position. Can she judge a fly ball? Most outfielders are really good infielders that get pushed to the outfield because there are better players there. Is she loud, is she a leader? Those should all come into play. Does she grasp taking angles to the ball? I know my club team my 3 fastest players are interchangeable between the outfield and all the infield spots as well as behind the plate. My high school team is the middle infield and center field are our fastest players.

Thanks for the input. I'm not wanting to pigeon hole her, but I do want to get her on the right track. She will get time at multiple positions but I would really like to focus on one or two.

She is a smart girl but this is only her second season. She played 8U last spring and skipped the fall for soccer. She picks up very quickly and is a stupid good athlete. She judges fly balls well. Her arm is good, not outstanding. She can play infield but mostly plays catcher and CF for me right now. My SS is very good and does understand the game better right now so it's tough for her to overtake the incumbent.

Apr 13, 2013
CF, if she runs like the wind do not let her run over other players. Work with her to support other players not run then over if that makes sense.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
Hit by the Pitch has it figured out for you.

But as most have said the others may catch up to her so do not limit her to one spot. At our JV level we always trying to get the girls to be able to play multiple positions.

We have one that is crazy fast, she runs cross country during the fall. She can turn some hits that normally are singles into doubles. We focus on lots of base running with her. If she gets on base she will 90% of the time score, usually with a delay steal from 3rd.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Unfortunately, speed alone doesn't make a good outfielder, it just corrects some of the mistakes. Not enough time spent teaching and practicing tracking and taking good angles IMO.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I'd put her wherever it helps your team right now and let the future figure itself out. A girl's future as a center fielder isn't going to be ruined just because she played shortstop at 10U. ... But also give her chances to play more than one position, imho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes