What to do, what to do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2010
As I've mentioned before my daughter plays 10U travel and rec. I'm not sure how other rec leagues work but in ours the coaches of all-stars are the ones in the number one spot. The coach with the number one team in rec also has a travel team. This weekend we were at a tournament and my daughter was on fire in the outfield. She caught 3 pop-flys and shot it to 2nd for a double play. Well I guess the other coach saw this and sent a parent over to ask us if we were able to go to FL the end of July for the world series for all-stars. Now all-stars are not announced until June 19th I think but I've already had 3 people approach me about my daughter being a contender. So here is the deal: This coach is HATED by pretty much everyone that has any dealings with sports in our town. It is a town rivalry thing I guess. He does always win though. (which is probably why he is so hated) I am afraid that the travel team will see us accepting all-stars (that is if we are chosen) as being traitors to the team. I love the coaches and my daughter is such good friends with everyone on the travel team but this is all-stars and a chance to even say that we went to the world series. My husband says that he isn't going to hold our daughter back for fear we will make someone else mad. What is your take on this.

*This all may be too confusing for anyone else to even figure out. :rolleyes:

May 7, 2008
Tucson
OK. You are on a travel team, but a coach that is hated wants you to play rec AllStars, is that correct?

Then, my answer is no, she is on a travel team. All Stars does not begin to rank as high as travel.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I would think that if she is a on TB team that she would have issues even making the tournament. It depends on your TB schedule. Also, what sanction is the tourney? For All Stars, we have to have players on TB teams pay a fine to be temporarily removed from their roster to play with us for the weekend or whatever. I'm not sure how that works.

Around here, All Stars essentially plays travel tournaments. Or what else would a team from NY be doing in nowhere Virginia? :p

Also, they are probably approaching you now because they are trying to make the team. If your daughter can't play for whatever reasons, they will still announce her but start looking at other girls to replace her.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Im not sure why your daughter would play travel and rec. Generally, rec would be a joke compared to a halfway decent travel team. What "world series" is there for rec all-stars? Why isnt your travel team going to a "world series" or end of season tournament. When you join a team you make a committment, yes you would be breaking it most likely.

May 25, 2010
As I've mentioned before my daughter plays 10U travel and rec.
It's one or the other.

I am afraid that the travel team will see us accepting all-stars (that is if we are chosen) as being traitors to the team. My husband says that he isn't going to hold our daughter back for fear we will make someone else mad.

This is a no-brainer. Staying loyal to your TB team for the entire season is what you're supposed to do. It isn't about 'making anyone mad', it's about doing the right thing. If your daughter wishes to drop back down to rec play and remain there once the summer TB season is over, so be it, but you don't jump to another team mid-season. I don't see how preventing your daughter from going to FL to play against decidedly inferior competition equates to 'holding her back'.

If you don't want to hold her back, encourage your TB team to enter the toughest tournaments possible.

Mar 22, 2010
Thanks for all the advise. Our travel season from what I'm hearing will be over soon. I know that sounds crazy to ya'll, but that is how they've always done with this team. Yes, most other teams are basically all-stars that travel. They play in their rec and then they make up a travel team, but not in my daughters case. I know they will be done playing by July for sure. That is why I'm kind of leaning toward going with the all-stars because she is still wanting to play. But you are right, I did make a commitment and I won't leave her team hanging. I guess I just need to discuss timing with them. And yes my daughters particular rec team is a joke but over-all the girls on the other teams are competitive and this all-stars team should be made up of very good ball-players.
And I know I would have to chose all-stars or travel but as far as the comment that you have to chose rec or travel that isn't the case. 2 other girls on my daughters travel team are also on rec teams and there are many others that do the same. She plays on Mon and Fri nights on the rec team (not every single mon and fri but those are the only nights she plays) and then plays on the weekends on the travel team. I was afraid it would be too much for her but it has worked out just fine. It has GREATLY improved her playing abiltity and I've had parents and coaches all comment that they may do the same with theirs next year.

Mar 15, 2010
Chapelhillbilly,

In SoCal ASA you can't play alls-stars and TB at the same time. ASA has very strict rules on when you must stop playing travel and commit to all-stars. Since you appear to have the option of playing both I want to share my experience with you.

My DD moved back to rec ball all-stars in May so she could play one last tournament season with her friends before she aged out of the league. DD is having a great time and in the end that is all that really matters. I have always told her she should only play if she is having fun. With that said from a competitive perspective it was a huge mistake to move from TB to rec all stars. We have played 8 all star games to date. Her batting average is almost .775 (17/22) and her slugging is approaching 1.200. These numbers are almost 500 points higher than her TB numbers. This is a direct reflection from moving from pitching in the mid 50's to high 40's at best. Her pitching numbers are also similarly inflated. In TB she averaged about 1 K per inning. In all-stars her average is now almost 2.5 K per inning. This decreased level of competition is not helping her. She has all but abandoned her change up since she learned the hard way that the CU is about the only pitch of hers that the all-star players can hit. While her primary catcher is very good she is a true rec player and has a hard time catching her drop and rise. End result is she throws 95% fastballs. Bottom line: she is having fun but not growing as a player and will have a serious reality adjustment when she moves back to TB.

May 25, 2010
Oh, I just realized something - if chapelhillbilly is in NC, then it stands to reason that the softball isn't nearly as high a level as what many of you are used to.

Feb 9, 2009
Oh, I just realized something - if chapelhillbilly is in NC, then it stands to reason that the softball isn't nearly as high a level as what many of you are used to.

this, sadly, is true...
It wasn't too long ago that I was coaching HS ball in NC...and it was SLOW PITCH. (omg....)
Have they gone to fastpitch yet?

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
this, sadly, is true...
It wasn't too long ago that I was coaching HS ball in NC...and it was SLOW PITCH. (omg....)
Have they gone to fastpitch yet?

As far as I know, NC schools are fastpitch. I think we considered scrimmaging a NC school earlier this season, but we ended up not doing it. (I'm in VA)

I can say that I will be glad when this area catches up with the rest of the world.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00