What to do, what to do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2009
looks like they stopped playing slowpitch about 12 years ago...

BUT...EAST CAROLINA did upset TEXAS in the playoffs this year!!! Thank God for out-of-state athletes!!

Mar 22, 2010
No I am not in NC, I am in TN and yes we do see very highly competitive softball.

From what I know of this team of girls that would make all-stars they are actually probably as competitive or a little more-so than my daughters travel team since most of them play travel as well as rec. However I do see what you're saying in that the other teams we play against may not be competitive. I will not leave the travel team if they plan on playing throughout July but if they are planning on wrapping up the season soon I may have to sit down with them and explain the situation. I just don't want to pass up being able to continue to play if her travel team is done for the year.

Mar 15, 2010
chapelhillbilly,

End of the day you need to do what is right for your own DD. If the travel team goes dark and the rec AS is an opportunity to continue to play than do so. Make sure your DD knows that the level of competition may be different and may not be as challenging. You also want to make sure there are no roster issues with your sanctioning association. For example, in SoCal DD could only be on one roster at a time. If she had been on the TB team roster after a certain date she would have been ineligible for rec AS. Good luck.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
still not clear to me. Is the rec all stars just going to play a world series like USFA or USSSA or is it something for a particular rec organization? Not familiar with rec, but I know the above are there.

Even at B level, the top 10 teams or so at those world series are very good, they are "B "only in the technical sense of distance the players come from that make up the team. Most would do very well in A too, but they just want to win something too badly to compete against a handful of better teams.

Maybe clarification on the All-Star World Series for rec (at least in my area, which is right at Tennessee). Here, rec league is Dizzy Dean. At the end of the regular rec season, the top coach picks his all-star team from his age division (usually other coaches suggest best players from their teams). The all-star team then travels around the area playing different tournaments on the weekends. Here, you must play in the "north-half" tournament for your team to be allowed to advance to the World Series. For years, the fastpitch WS was held in Southaven, MS, with teams coming from different states all over the South to play. The teams at this level of WS are all rec league all-stars. I have been to several of them and have never seen a competitive level team there. Granted some of the teams there played weekend "travel" ball - coach had picked the all-stars early, formed a team and played during rec season. That shouldn't be done, but happens - just for the sake of fairness.

Here, you can have a travel ball player on your rec team. However, they have to make x number of games during the rec season to be considered for the all-star team. I don't know anyone who has a child playing both rec and travel here - it's one or the other. However, we are in a rural area, so I'm sure somewhere around here, it happens.

Hope that helped to clear up the World Series stuff for mudbug. I am also very familiar with travel ball and the World Series thing is generally the same deal, only way different competition levels...

Mar 22, 2010
The league is a Cal-Ripkin league. And they said that I guess the state is actually held here in our county the last weekend of June. All of this is second hand information as she has not yet been named as an all-star. They aren't announced until June 18th.

Mar 22, 2010
Also our rec league is set up for players to be able to play both because this all-star coach is a member of the board and he wants his daughter to be able to do both so therefor he makes sure we only play on Mon and Fri so travel tournaments can be played on Sat and Sun.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad