what should be priority?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
background, LL minors softball coach here (10u basically, mostly 8s and 9s, most 10s are in majors). Our softball admin runs a TB team, and has a neice playing. local TB softball and baseball teams use our LL fields on sundays, and they pay for this, but pay lower fee if 80% (or something like that) of their players are registered in LL as well, so TB coaches really push to have girls play LL as well.

It is difficult but not impossible for travel and rec to coexist. But you need to be careful with the expectations from both sides. IMO, the bold above is part of your problem. It sounds like they get a reduction if the players are "registered" for LL. What you should do is make the lower fee contingent on those players actually "playing in 80% of the games".

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If a girl plays both LL/rec and TB, should TB practice be more a priority than a LL/rec game, or the reverse? I would think an actual game should be priority. My DD plays travel soccer as well as softball, and I know if there is socceer practice and a softball game, she is going to softball game rather than soccer practice.

I have never really understood why players continue to play REC ball once they start playing TB. I have no idea how competitive your REC league games are, but back in the day, I would have gone to TB practice over REC league games. In our area most of the good REC players start to migrate to TB at 10U and by 12U there are very few talented players left in REC.

I have never really understood why players continue to play REC ball once they start playing TB. I have no idea how competitive your REC league games are, but back in the day, I would have gone to TB practice over REC league games. In our area most of the good REC players start to migrate to TB at 10U and by 12U there are very few talented players left in REC.
This is correct.

I have never really heard a valid argument for staying in rec ball once a girl has moved to TB (if she actually belongs there, that is). I know I'll get hit with all the "It's her community!" and the "She can play with her friends!" things but TB is a community, too, with its own circle of friends and no different than rec in that regard when it gets right down to it.

It really is better just to play TB once you've gone there. Rec is still there if you don't want to take that step.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I buy into it being a way to get some circle time.

I thought this too until last spring when she would only face 2-4 DECENT hitters per game and the rest were not that good. It gave her (her parents too) a false confidence. When we would go play tourneys, it was mostly good hitters with one or 2 not so good. Now she wants to work more between team practice to work at getting better whereas last few seasons, we've not had the for team practices, rec and TB 4-5 days a week and then tourneys also.

We are not playing LL this year and so far it's been great. Plus no burnout, player and coach. :)

LAS beat me to it.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

It depends how serious the player is and what available options there are.... My DD played rec followed by travel in the same summer for one season. Then it was off to travel full time, and no more rec. However, we have a rec league not too far from us that also supports a couple "C" level travel teams. That's what they call them anyway. They play 15-20 games during their rec season, and then participate in 3 or 4 local type tournaments during the summer. It seems like a nice compromise for some players/families that want more than rec but don't want to play in 12+ tournaments per year. It is also a good spring board for families that are not sure if they want to get involved in travel ball. Playing in 3 or 4 tournaments is enough to give them the travel experience, and some do move to travel the following year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes