What role do coaches play in building self confidence

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2014
What role does a coaching staff have in building or maintaining self confidence in a player/team? Coaches on my daughter’s team said building confidence was the job of the parents and players and not that of the coach. I’d be interested in hearing from anyone but especially any high A level and college coaches.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I made the mistake of posting on here that DD was never pulled, she was pulled that night.

I am never going to pitch again, blah, blah.

HC started her next game, she needed it.

Coach has a lot to do with confidence IMO.

DD will be fine on her own but they help her or not.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
What role does a coaching staff have in building or maintaining self confidence in a player/team? Coaches on my daughter’s team said building confidence was the job of the parents and players and not that of the coach. I’d be interested in hearing from anyone but especially any high A level and college coaches.

Interesting. So they must think that their job is to undermine self-confidence?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
If you could be in my hs cage tomorrow morning, you could see first hand.

I think that coaches have an obligation to be truthful to players. Sometimes that isn't conducive to building confidence. However, a coach can make or break a player simply by a word or action. I'm going to work with a player tomorrow who is a great hitter that is not allowing herself to be great. I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2015
A coach has to be honest, but also has to help instill some confidence. Last year my DD's HC told her she wasn't fast enough to pitch in a tournament, then when his faster girls couldn't throw strikes she had to come in and clean things up. He almost caused her to quit playing softball at the end of the season. Luckily other coaches knew what she could do and called wanting her for their teams. She's having the best year of her softball life this year, thanks to the new coaches.

Sep 17, 2009
There's only one way to be truly confident: knowing you have the tools and have done the work necessary to succeed. Most people who aren't confident deep in their heart -- they can't fool themselves -- know they don't have the tools and haven't done the work. As Cannonball said, being truthful with the player is extremely important in building confidence. Again: you can't truly fool yourself.

It is the coaches JOB to set high standards and then give their players the tools and work to meet those standards. If the player isn't there today they should both know -- coach and player -- that the path has been laid out and that every practice and game rep is part of putting in the work, in other words, part of building confidence.

Will the player "get there"? Every player is different, so every player has different potential, a different ceiling, a different commitment to putting in the work.

A coach that leaves "confidence-building" to others by my definition simply isn't doing his job -- he's failed his player by not giving them the tools, not helping them put in the work and not being patient and providing guidance s they progress down their path.

Oct 16, 2012
"Coaches on my daughter’s team said building confidence was the job of the parents and players and not that of the coach."

As a coach and also working in a classroom of kids with behavioral disorders, this is not exactly what I would tell my players but close (depending on the age). I don't think I have ever told a player that their confidence is their parents job. Telling someone how they value their self is dependent on someone else, will NEVER build their confidence!

confidence- belief in oneself and one's powers or abilities; self-confidence; self-reliance; assurance:

Certainly their are things parents and coaches can/should do to help any young person measure their own ability. A coach can/should also be a great resource to a player on how they can improve their own confidence. A coach should definitely helping provide ways for their players improve their abilities, but I will never tell one of my players that it is MY job to build YOUR confidence. "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink." This is definitely an area where an athlete needs to have "skin in the game". Effort and attitude are two things you must bring to the table in sports or any challenge in life. I can show you how to hit, provide time and even guide you along the way, but I can't swing the bat for you.

I have had athletes with little god given athletic abilities and I can help them improve their softball skills. I have also had athletes that have confidence issues and honestly they may need professional help because of issues very distant from sports.

To answer your question the coaches responsibility with regards to confidence is..
Assist with improving skills and knowledge
Measure and communicate success/improvement
Be a resource if the player needs guidance with mental game or non-softball related issues
Once you commit to a player don't give up on them

Jun 12, 2015
The right coach will build kids' confidence, IMO. And the wrong one can really destroy it. Any coach who doesn't think they have that kind of power is kidding him/herself. Plus a confident player is going to play better; why wouldn't a coach want that?

Feb 15, 2016
The right coach will build kids' confidence, IMO. And the wrong one can really destroy it. Any coach who doesn't think they have that kind of power is kidding him/herself. Plus a confident player is going to play better; why wouldn't a coach want that?

You absolutely want to help every player be the best that they can be. Coaches need to be very aware of how their actions can impact the players and undermine a player's confidence. Coaches need to have honest dialogue with players that is not just a critique of performance. Coaching is as much an art as it is a science. Some girls with technically perfect swings can't hit. Coaches can put players in situations where they can have success as opposed to just throwing them to the wolves. If a girl is struggling at the plate it might be a good idea to get her in some bunting situations where she can have some success moving runners. If a pitcher is struggling a coach can pick and choose situations to get that pitcher some innings where the game is not on the line.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas

Totally agree with this. We are in a bad place with HS coach right now. It is taking every ounce of my own will power to not give that coach a piece of my mind. Anyway, I do believe that coaches have a huge role in building/maintaining a player's confidence. I just pray that my DD's isn't destroyed before end of season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball