What pitces do NOT use IR?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2009
Ive picked up from he posts that IR should not be used when throwing all pitches.
Can you explan what pitches IR should NOT be used on and why? What the arm
swing would be on those pitches?

Thanks.

Mike

May 18, 2009
Change up. Your locking the arm out by bringing the thumb side of the hand/wrist toward catcher.

Jul 26, 2010
Do you throw a screwball with internal rotation? If anything, I'd think it would use external rotation.

Not a bit screwball advocate, but yeah, I can't imagine a screwball working with an IR delivery because your finger spin would fight against your wrist turn. It may be possible with really good finger control but I think the pitch would be less effective. That said, many elite pitchers will learn to break their rise or drop inside to a RH batter by changing their finger pressure to impart a tilted spin, using their same IR delivery that they would normally use. I know Hillhouse has a video on fastpitch.tv on how to do this with a drop.

-W

Aug 2, 2008
Are you saying a screwball is thrown by rotating the wrist? Like a motion that would turn a door knob? I would like to see some video of that. I know nothing about throwing screwballs but would assume for a rhp she would place her index finger along a seam and internal rotation would peel the index finger across the back side of the ball giving it screwball spin. Like dropball spin turned sideways. It doesnt seem logical that turning your wrist would create enough spin.

screwballs are for screwballs:D

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Are you saying a screwball is thrown by rotating the wrist? Like a motion that would turn a door knob? I would like to see some video of that. I know nothing about throwing screwballs but would assume for a rhp she would place her index finger along a seam and internal rotation would peel the index finger across the back side of the ball giving it screwball spin. Like dropball spin turned sideways. It doesnt seem logical that turning your wrist would create enough spin.

screwballs are for screwballs:D

Actually, that's how I teach the screwball. Turn the ball out toward third (RHP) and keep the hand facing away until the release point, where the ball peels itself off the index finger. That gives it a spin with an axis running from top to bottom (more or less). It delivers better movement than a twist type because you can impart more aggressive/tighter spin. It gets actual break, instead of just running in like a lot of them. It's also safer because it doesn't put the stress on the elbow like a violent twist would.

Aug 2, 2008
That sounds about right Ken. I cant see the door knob thing working at all. Like the roll over drop discussion on another thread, I just dont see it. The ball is long gone before any "wrist twist" can take place.

Thanks

p.s.
I'm not arguing rollover drops dont exist just that the hand does not roll over the top and down the front of the ball. Must be something to it though because I see alot of kids doing it, or at least some wierd follow through attempt at it.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
That sounds about right Ken. I cant see the door knob thing working at all. Like the roll over drop discussion on another thread, I just dont see it. The ball is long gone before any "wrist twist" can take place.

Thanks

p.s.
I'm not arguing rollover drops dont exist just that the hand does not roll over the top and down the front of the ball. Must be something to it though because I see alot of kids doing it, or at least some wierd follow through attempt at it.

Rollovers start behind the ball and the ball is released with the index finger perpendicular to the direction of the pitch on top of the ball. Peel drops use the fingers pointed straight down and the spin is imparted by the finger tips "flicking" upwards as the ball is released. While the follow-through of a roll-over is in "front" of the ball, the ball is released before this happens. Perhaps this is where your confusion is coming from?

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors