What makes a good coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
We all know that there are a lot of self-proclaimed experts(and well intentioned people) out there that will take your money to teach your dd some kinda skill(hittin/pitching/catching/etc). I have read a lot of posts on here with people asking where to find "good'' lessons and what to look for.
There is a guy, in our area, who's dd played tb, so he started a team, which turned into an org. Now the guy has a small sports store w/batting cages and he does hitting/pitching lessons. They offer pretty good rates and I know plenty of people that go there. As with most places reviews are mixed.
I know that many people that do lessons are former players, but many are not. Some are people who are just want money and others really are well intentioned.
So my question is this, how does an individual develop into a good coach?
I have little doubt that I could build me a pole barn, install a couple batting cages and open a hitting academy. With proper advertiseing, low rates, and enough bsing I could develop a clientel and make money(for a time). I have 1 year of tb experience in 8u, have read 1 book an watched several dvds on hitting/pitchin, and been a member of this forum for 1 mos. That has all given me the knowledge to bs people enough to come and pay for lessons, especially with the vacuum in our area of good help and the desire of people for their dds to play ball. Oh yeah, and low rates.
I'm not doing this, but have no doubt that it is occuring around the country.
I believe I read Hillhouse say that he believes only pitchers should teach pitchin, since they understand what is really happening in the motion. I kinda agree, but not all players can go on to coach. And some people out there have never played the game but understand how to teach good mechanics and work habits and can be good coaches.
So, what makes a good coach? When I say makes I mean how does a person go from zero knowledge to a quality instructor?
I'll tell you what I would like to see is someone in our town develop a system so that the younger, less funded, girls can receive quality instruction. We are very blessed and can afford for our dd to attend lessons and we can afford equipment for her to practice with, but we live in an area that is poor and many girls cannot afford it. As with most areas many of our rec coaches are well-intentioned parents that don't really know what they are doing and teach incorrect things. I would like to see this change, but it prolly won't.

Jan 25, 2011
what came first the chicken or the egg?You my friend are asking the question.I think no one can answer,there are a experts everywhere.I have to say that we are looking for that samething.I have to say that you need to look at a wide spectrum,and then try to see what is right for your dd and you.But even if you find that coach or system you like.Quess what there is always something or someone with a new way.I think you need to look at what the elite hitters or pitchers are doing and see if this system or coach are teaching the same.Good luck and stay thirsty my friend,(thats a thirst for knowledge)

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Just like anything it takes work. I played but never coached. About 12 years ago, I started attending every camp/clinic I could. I , like many on here starting reading as much as I could find on the subject and starting asking others for ideas. I ended up coaching three teams with two dd's. Still you learn watching others and reading on all the different web sites that are out there. One of the best hitting coaches I know doesn't charge a thing for a lesson. I have talked to Bill Hillhouse on pitching, since I knew nothing about it. I do disagree some with the above statement. Just because you can pitch or hit, doesn't mean you are a good teacher. I think a good coach is a good teacher. I was lucky to have been around some very good teachers and how they taught young kids in school. I can't say enough about going to watch games and then study how other coaches handle a team. You can learn what to do or what not to do. Hope that helps. There are some very good coaches that surround themself with good people. Then there are coaches that understand how you should hit a ball, throw a ball, or pitch a ball, but have terrible people skills and fail as a coach.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
I'll tell you what I would like to see is someone in our town develop a system so that the younger, less funded, girls can receive quality instruction. We are very blessed and can afford for our dd to attend lessons and we can afford equipment for her to practice with, but we live in an area that is poor and many girls cannot afford it. As with most areas many of our rec coaches are well-intentioned parents that don't really know what they are doing and teach incorrect things. I would like to see this change, but it prolly won't.

YOU are the one to do it. You do not have to know everything. You have to know enough and be willing to learn and adapt.

It is very rewarding! Even if you aren't THE one who helps a kid become "the real deal" it is still rewarding when they do; just being a part of the process.

Go for it! What's to lose? Sure beats sitting at the bar.

Aug 9, 2011
Teaching is teaching, no matter what the subject ie: math, physics, softball, football. It starts with "the will" that will make you want to learn more and be the best you can be. Just as a High School physics teachers first day, doesn't start off with them knowing everything there is to know about physics but..."it starts." So I agree with above, if you want to be the one..."do it." I never thought I would feel the gratification I feel from coaching girls softball. Let me tell you, I've felt few things that have brought me as much happiness and joy as coaching my daughter's softball team.
Just like teaching, all kids/students learn in different ways so it's best if you find the most effective methods that work for you and them as a whole but you have to be confident and consistent. Very few things are as frustrating and counter productive as inconsistency within coaching.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Four major ingredients: 1.) It's all about the player, never about them 2.) Good communication skills 3.) Sound technical knowledge 4.) Empathy (some of the best coaches can "feel" the swing that they see a hitter put on the ball).

It's pretty hard to find coaches that truly have all four of these ingredients. If you find someone with three of them, you are going to be all right :)

Don't ever forget how hard this game is to play and succeed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp