What kind of team (HS/Travel) would you rather coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
1) A super talented team but they have no work effort
2) A semi-talented team with some girls who work very hard and some who don't work hard
3) A team with little talent that works super hard

Aug 3, 2013
Illinois
number 3
I have coached all three types and by far number three was the most rewarding and we had the most fun

I also prefer travel over High-School

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
What age? And how developed is the talent? With #1, are you talking about a group of raw athletes, or players who are already very good but lack any drive to get better?

As long as the kids are respectful and do the basics, like show up to practice and listen, then it wouldn't matter much to me.

The best coaches (not saying that I'm one) embrace whatever challenges that a team presents. It would be fun to inspire the talented team, and to overachieve with the less talented team.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
In reality most teams are like #2. There will always be some players who work harder than others, and there will always be some players who are more "gifted" than others. The old saying "hard work beats talent when talent does not work hard" applies....

As a coach the choice is #3. My goal is not to win games, but to provide a positive environment where the girls have fun, improve their skills, and increase their love of the game. Some of the best teams I have coached ended up with losing records. You will also find at the older age groups that no one cares about winning trophies - it is all about improving and getting ready to play at the next level.

Jan 11, 2015
Number three and that is easy! The 2 worst teams my daughter played for where a couple of the most talented you could put together. NO ONE wanted to be there including me or my daughter. Currently I think there are only 3 of the girls still playing travel, out of the 12. And it is the 3 that looked like they wanted to be there.

Oct 22, 2009
I'd like to add;
#4. Just playing for fun.

My DD is a high school coach and she coaches at a private school in a wealthy area. Basically none of the girls have any work ethics, everything is handed to them. They are not playing for college scholarships because their parents will pay for any school they want to attend (if they provide the grades). So they are just playing for fun.

This may be an ideal choice for some coaches, but not my DD. She wants a team that wants to work and improve. She doesn't feel she does her job as a "coach", when they don't want coaching. The other coach for the team is not very knowledgeable about coaching and so he loves it. To each his own.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shameria0413