What is the rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
Im new to softball her dad use to make all these desisions but he passed and now i need to do it. Differrnt coaches are telling me differnt things and i dont know who to believe. My dughter is 13. One coach said she play on his 14u team. The other coach says she can play on his 16u team & the other coachs 14u team at the same time because they would never play each other. The 14u coach say that not true. I dont know who to believe. I need to know who an honest guy is. Daghter wants to play on both teams. I want to see who telling truth. Thank you.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Sorry to hear about your husband and cuddos to you for keeping the TB thing going.

I really don't see how your daughter could play on two TB teams at the same time without missing a significant number of games. If the 16U team is a good one you might want to consider that but beware, the difference in ages will come into play. We saw this in our org last year.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
They don't understand the rules. Ask them if they are playing ASA, NSA, or USSSA and any qualifiers. That will determine the answer to this question. If this is rec. then yes I have seen kids play on different teams, but it depends on the rec rules. After you find that out, there are many on here that can give you the correct response.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
You need to be very careful, or you could end up being the one who gets hosed. If the teams are playing ASA, once your daughter competes in what is considered championship play, she would be locked on that roster. Other ABC organizations seem a bit more soft on the rules. I would watch out for any coach who is telling you it is ok to play on two teams at once. I think you need to pick the one that is best for your daughter. You can "guest" play in many org's, but I am not that familiar with how that works. I know a team got DQ'd at the NSA states this year for having a player on the roster that was on another teams roster earlier in the year.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
sip, it is really great that your DD (darling daughter) is being approached by two different teams.

First, if you live in California, then the answer is real simple: your DD cannot play on both teams. California's softball is almost 100% ran by the ASA, and the California ASA is extremely strict.

But, if you don't live in California, then it is much more complicated. But, it is pretty easy to play on multiple teams. My DD played on four teams during a summer.

The rule outside of California is that your DD can only play during qualifiers (tournaments where the winner qualifies to go to the national championship) on only one team for the organization holding the national championship tournament.

As some background, there are many different organizations for girls softball. There is the ASA (Amateur Softball Association), the USSSA (United States Specialty Sports Association), the NSA (National Softball Association), the AFA (American Fastpitch Association), etc. Each of these organizations has its own "Softball Championship". One organization has no control over what another organization does.

So, your DD could play on the 14U team and the 16U team as long as they didn't both play in a national qualifying tournament for the same organization. E.g., if the 14U played an NSA qualifier and the 16U played a USSSA qualifier, then it would be perfectly OK for your DD to play on both teams. But, if the 14U team and 16U team both played an AFA qualifier, then your DD could be disqualified from playing in the AFA national championship.

Additionally, the rule stopping a girl playing on two different teams applies only to *TOURNAMENT QUALIFYING* tournaments. Many tournaments aren't qualifiers for anything, although the tournament may be advertised as an "NSA" tournament--which means only that the tournament is using the NSA rulebook and NSA umpires.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
Sorry for the loss in your family.

In Georgia you can play on 2 different teams, but you cannot be on 2 different rosters at the same time. A coach would need to remove your DD from his roster for your DD to legally play on another team and the other team’s coach would need to add her to his. The coaches would need to go back and forth to play on 2 teams, if an opposing coach protested her being on 2 different rosters and she was it could be problems for the teams and her. Remember this is GA.

We played an NSA tournament in TN once and when a team was eliminated, the best players(s) on that team would be on another team still in the tournament. We ended up second and played an all star team for first and we had our same kids. Lost 2-1 in 10 innings. So it depends on the tournament and how strict it is.

I would attend a practice or two for the teams interested in her and see which is a better fit. The coaches that will help her the most to get better, and the kids she is most comfortable with. I bet by doing that it will work it’s self out, 2 teams and 2 coaches could get expensive and confusing to you daughter. Two different coaching methods could get her off track and confused IMO.

Good luck and my hats off to you for supporting you daughter, sounds like she is a luck youg lady for having a mom like you.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I guess she could play for a travel team and a recreational team with your city. But, that takes a lot of time and money. Two ASA teams would have been unaffordable for me.

Jun 1, 2011
Another thing to consider if playing on two teams is the possible conflicting schedule for practices and tournaments. If both teams are in the same sanctioning body I'm sure they will be playing in many of the same tournaments and quite possibly with games at the same time. Also as mentioned earlier there will be different coaches with different philosophies and different ways of doing things.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA