What is the role of base coaches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2011
Without going in to great detail, I believe the main job of a base coach is to be the eyes for the player when the ball is behind her. When a batter hits the ball she should know where it went and whether it is in the air or on the ground, so she does not need the 1B coach to tell her whether she needs to run through the bag, turn, or go 2. Doubles are made 5 ft from the batter’s box, not by the 1B coach. There are a lot of folks who say finding the ball out of the box slows down a runner. I would ask those which is quicker? The batter deciding 5 ft from the box she’s going 2, or the 1B coach deciding she’s going two, telling her she’s going two, and then her hearing that she’s going two?

When she gets to first, it is then the 1B coach’s job to remind her of the game situation, i.e., how many outs, inning, score, how good the OF arms are, whether or not she needs to be super aggressive, letting line drives get through, is IF fly rule in effect, etc. etc. If the ball is hit toward LF or CF, then it is in front of the 1B runner so she need not rely on the 3B coach to tell her whether or not to proceed to third. If it’s hit toward RF, she needs to let the 3B coach be her eyes.

Runner on second and the ball is hit toward LF, the play is in front of the 2B runner, so it should be her decision whether or not to proceed to third. Ball hit toward CF or RF, she should rely on the 3B coach to be her eyes.

IMO, base coaches who insist that the girls rely on them for every situation create non-aggressive base runners who can’t think for themselves on the paths.

Why do some coaches feel the need to control everything that happens on the bases?

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
I don't think I need to control everything that happens on the bases but I know that good base coaching leads to more aggressive baserunning. I can often tell when that bad throw from 3B to 1B is going to hit the fence before the first baseman does. I can often tell when that pop up is going to drop before it's halfway to the ground. I can often tell it's going to be a wild pitch as soon as it leaves the pitchers hand. At 12U most players know what to do in these situations but they react a little faster when someone is yelling instructions to them. Maybe when they get older and more experienced I won't need to spur them on as much.

As others have posted before players hesitate because they're afraid of getting out. I tell our players that if they listen to a base coach and get out it's the base coach's mistake. After they reach 2B safely a few times they'll realize they can do it and won't need a base coach to remind them.

Jan 31, 2011
I agree with you smallball for the most part, if a baserunner waits for the coach to tell them what to do, its usually too late. For example, a slow rolling pass ball. If the runner on 3rd waits for the coach to say go, she probably missed her opportunity. My opinion. We moved to 14U this year and hte game can be very quick at times.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Those who think 1st base coach is no help in running the bases, next time you are in the 1st base side dugout, leave them in the dugout. They can remind the runner how many outs there are, what the score is, whether there is a runner on 2nd, that they have to get back to the base on a line drive, what the situation is, and any other part of the game they may be oblivios to, from the dugout.

That way they will be less prone to tell the runner useless information like whether they have a chance to make it to second or not.

Jul 5, 2011
I can often tell when that bad throw from 3B to 1B is going to hit the fence before the first baseman does. I can often tell when that pop up is going to drop before it's halfway to the ground. I can often tell it's going to be a wild pitch as soon as it leaves the pitchers hand. At 12U most players know what to do in these situations but they react a little faster when someone is yelling instructions to them. Maybe when they get older and more experienced I won't need to spur them on as much.

As can I. But as a coach isn't my goal to pass that knowledge on to the players? I want them to know and see the same thing I do. Recognizing when pitches will be wild and balls will drop are practicable skills.

Consider two players. Player A always listens to the base coach and Player B has worked on making her own decisions in practice. Player A is on first and her coach sends her because he or she knows a line drive will drop short of the LF. It does and she is safe at second. Player B is on first and goes because she thinks the line drive will drop in front of the LF. The LF makes the catch of the year and doubles her off. As soon as player A gets back to the dugout, you ask her why she went to second. Her answer? "Because coach told me to". Ask player B the same question. Her answer? "because I didn't think the LF would ever catch that ball." Which one is the better base runner?

As others have posted before players hesitate because they're afraid of getting out. I tell our players that if they listen to a base coach and get out it's the base coach's mistake. After they reach 2B safely a few times they'll realize they can do it and won't need a base coach to remind them.

This is of course correct but players have to know that they will not be punished for making an incorrect decision. IMO they don't learn from success, they learn from mistakes. Sure, they'll run themselves into an out or not be aggressive enough until they get a better feel for decision making, and it may cost a game or two, but that's the price of teaching them instead of doing it for them. I think coaches who don't teach base runners to think for themselves are worried more about wins and what the parents think than they are making better ball players. That's just my opinion.

Jul 5, 2011
Those who think 1st base coach is no help in running the bases, next time you are in the 1st base side dugout, leave them in the dugout. They can remind the runner how many outs there are, what the score is, whether there is a runner on 2nd, that they have to get back to the base on a line drive, what the situation is, and any other part of the game they may be oblivios to, from the dugout.

I don't recall anybody saying the 1B coach doesn't help in running the bases. If the ball gets past F3, it's behind the runner so it's the 1B coach's job to find the ball her and relay whether or not she should advance. As long as the play is in front of the runner, it should be her decision whether or not to advance.

That way they will be less prone to tell the runner useless information like whether they have a chance to make it to second or not.

So basically what you're saying is your judgement is better than the player's, which is true because you've obviously seen many more games than they. But how about instead of forcing them to trust your judgement, you allow them to use their own? Do you believe they are incapable of it?

Feb 3, 2011
I think coaches who don't teach base runners to think for themselves are worried more about wins and what the parents think than they are making better ball players. That's just my opinion.
What do you have against winning? And where are you finding all these youth players who have no parents or guardians?? Depending on where you're coaching in the U.S., there are leagues or tournaments where all games must have a winner, at least in 10u, 12u, and 14u.

If every student in a school classroom does not learn the same way, and if Students A & B can achieve the same objectives through different means, why are you so intent on arguing that the same could not possibly be true in youth softball? Some players only want to do what they are directed to by the base coach at that moment in time, not what they may have been taught to do. Or maybe the player just doesn't have a good read on a situation and wants it confirmed by the base coach. Some players don't need much direction at all. They know the game situation. They know that slight bobble by the right fielder will allow them to have a great chance to get to 2nd.

Young players who do not want to do much thinking on the bases should be encouraged to do so, but should not be forced to. Coaches have an obligation to teach as much as they can, but they also have an obligation to keep the game enjoyable and what's good for one kid may not be good for another.

Jul 5, 2011
What do you have against winning?

I don't have anything against winning; in fact, I highly recommend it. I'm just not afraid to lose by allowing my players to make some of their own decisions (calling pitches, me not screaming where the play is before the ball is pitched, allowing runners to make decisions when the ball is in front of them, etc.) instead of relying on me and my assistants to do it for them. They'll be better in the long run for it. Softball is a marathon, not a sprint and the last time I checked the only must-win game is the last one of the year.

Depending on where you're coaching in the U.S., there are leagues or tournaments where all games must have a winner, at least in 10u, 12u, and 14u.

Again, you're under the impression that I want the girls to sit around and sing Kumbaya instead of winning. That's not true. I want to teach them the game and I'll tell you the same thing I tell them. Don't worry about winning. Worry about having solid fundamentals and giving a full effort on every play; winning will take care of itself.

If every student in a school classroom does not learn the same way, and if Students A & B can achieve the same objectives through different means, why are you so intent on arguing that the same could not possibly be true in youth softball?

There's a difference between using different methods to teach and doing it for them. When you tell a girl whether or not to run when the play is in front of them, you're doing it for them and not teaching.

Some players only want to do what they are directed to by the base coach at that moment in time, not what they may have been taught to do. Or maybe the player just doesn't have a good read on a situation and wants it confirmed by the base coach. Some players don't need much direction at all. They know the game situation. They know that slight bobble by the right fielder will allow them to have a great chance to get to 2nd.

Right, different players have different abilities, but instead of assuming someone with less natural ability can't or doesn't want to learn, I'll try to teach her. If she truly can't or doesn't want to get it, then obviously I'll adjust accordingly. But I won't be afraid to let her fail a few times before I do.

Young players who do not want to do much thinking on the bases should be encouraged to do so, but should not be forced to. Coaches have an obligation to teach as much as they can, but they also have an obligation to keep the game enjoyable and what's good for one kid may not be good for another.

By that, I assume that you let your players with natural abilities make their own decisions? If so, kudos.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd