What is the deal with all these injuries?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I don't know what's going on these days. Maybe there's something in the air or maybe there's a bad mojo working in this area. But it sure seems like I'm seeing a lot more injuries this year among my students than I've ever seen.

Now, let me first clarify. These are not injuries as the result of the pitching motion or any hitting technique. Heck, some of them aren't even occuring on the softball field. But they are happening. I've heard of girls injuring their shoulders playing volleyball, breaking their legs running the bases, hurting their legs running into a fence, even breaking their arms falling off bicycles. The latest is a student (whose father reads this blog, by the way) who blew out her knee playing basketball.

I have actually always been a fan of the multi-sport athlete approach. I think there's a lot of benefits from training for different sports. But after what's been doing on this year I'm not so sure.

Is this just a local phenomenon or are folks outside my immediate area (North/Northwest suburbs of Chicago) seeing an uptick in injuries as well? And if so, are they on the softball field? And where or doing what? I hope it's just a coincidence or bad luck and that it will stop soon. Otherwise there may not be any players left by spring!

More...

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
It is not only in the Chicago area.

Of the nine returning players on my DD's team, there are three fairly serious injuries; pulled hamstring from softball; concussion from soccer; dislocated ankle from basketball.

All of the girls are in high school and should all be back by summer ball. Hopefully they will all be back for high school ball, but it isn't looking good for the ankle injury.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA