What happen to teaching good spotsmanship?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
A wise person one told me to "Always try and do the right thing". If you win 18-3 or lose 18-3 you go out for the handshake. If they don't come let it go. The next time you play them you do the same. The kids on the other team might learn some bad things from other coaches, but if you act with class they will start to notice.

Jun 11, 2013
Peppers, just wondering if you remember how the 16,17 and 18th runs were scored? If they were still stealing home up 15-3 you might have your answer.

Feb 7, 2013
The score is irrelevant, both teams should shake hands after the game. No team should be upset with the winning team because they got beat.

Aug 24, 2011
18-3 isn't that bad. Sometimes there's just not much you can do. I'd rather get thumped by a good team like that than try to keep the score down to an "acceptable" range when we're the team on top. That's not fun at all and is a no-win situation.

Feb 7, 2013
18-3 isn't that bad. Sometimes there's just not much you can do. I'd rather get thumped by a good team like that than try to keep the score down to an "acceptable" range when we're the team on top. That's not fun at all and is a no-win situation.

Not only that, winning by a lot of runs in a tournament can help with tie-breaker decisions (e.g. # of runs scored, # of runs allowed) in pool play and can also lessen game time (i.e. mercy rules) thereby resting your starters for the next game(s). Again, no losing team should worry about the score other than how they can coach better and play better as a team...sometimes teams are outmatched and maybe a wake-up call for them?

Dec 27, 2014
Our district and state tournaments are unlimited runs. DD played in the Oregon 9/10 tournament last year. Some teams had good pitching that was around the plate and some did not. We watched a game that was like 20 - 6ish when we first started watching it and ended with both teams in the mid to high 20's. Little League 9/10 there is no guarantee your pitcher(s) are going to keep their control the whole game and you can walk your way right back into the game, or out of it. :)

Either way, DD team always high fives in the line.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
You do or you don't. If you don't, you get called for it in public forums and then guess what? Sooner or later everyone finds out that you're a classless organization and you fold since no one will sign with you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32