What do you think

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2008
Michigan
Recently on the team that I play for, the assistant manager is now the manager. I primarily play pitcher and catcher. What I am going through is this...the manager knows that I am effective as a pitcher when I have location and intent with each pitch. That is where I have been successful.
The assistant manager is telling me to forget about location and intent altogether. I don't think about location and intent, I just do what I need to do according to the current situation. What is resulting is mixed messages....I know what makes me an effective pitcher, but I am being told not to do that consistently during the game. It is having an effect on the mental aspect of the game because one side of me is saying "do what you know how to do and be confident in that", and I am hearing "don't do that (what I know and am confident in) on a regular basis. I feel more tension when I am pitching then I did before which is also having a negative effect. What would you do in that situation. thanks
Magglio36

Feb 9, 2009
I have nothing for you, so far as your problem is concerned, but how do you pitch AND catch??? I have a pitcher who also wants to catch, and I have told her NO!

Aren't you too tired while catching to possibly have to go in and finish a game out in the circle?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm not real clear on you question but:

IF you are advanced enough so that you no longer are focusing on mechanics when you throw the ball:

Each pitch should be thrown should be thrown to a specific location, with a specific ball movement, and with a specific speed. E.g., a pitch would be thrown (1) low inside (2) with a drop screw break and (3) at 90% effort.

But, that is for ADVANCED pitchers. Not many pitchers ever are good enough to really be able to do it.

Mar 13, 2010
So if you're not thinking about location and intent, what are you supposed to think about?

I would go talk to the manager and explain the situation. Tell them how confused you are and ask for clarification.

If you get an answer you don't like, ignore it. Do what works for you. When the assistant tells you to ignore location and intent, smile and nod. Then go back to what you were doing. You're lucky, in that they won't be able to tell!

May 25, 2010
I know that it can be tough for a young person - or even an old person(!) - to handle it this way, but you just need to focus on what you have to do in that moment. You're a pitcher, so you know how mental it is in terms of the focus required to do your job, but you have to block out any thoughts of 'what coach will think', etc. While you and the manager ought to be on the same page, you and your catcher HAVE to be.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd