What do you think is better for development...to be a top player on a B team, or to b

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 4, 2015
Georgia
One size doesn't fit all, IMO. Except for playing time. You need that.

But IMO, young kids need to be in situations that nurture their enjoyment of the game and make them want to come back year after year. For some, maybe that's a high-level team ASAP. For others, they're fine to take their time, stick with their B-level teams with teammates and coaches that they enjoy, big fish in smaller pond.

This is the hard lesson we learned this season. Moved DD from 12U "B" team to a high performing "A" team last year and by March she was ready to quit softball completely. I thought the competitive nature of the "A" team and being around motivated girls would make her want to work harder and be a better player, but it actually did the opposite - she completely melted down. Just recently settled into a 14U B level team and she is performing like she used to. And most importantly, I see big smiles from her on the field again. She is definitely "big fish, small pond". Wish we hadn't wasted half the season living out MY "A" level dreams...parenting lesson #202.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
This is the hard lesson we learned this season. Moved DD from 12U "B" team to a high performing "A" team last year and by March she was ready to quit softball completely. I thought the competitive nature of the "A" team and being around motivated girls would make her want to work harder and be a better player, but it actually did the opposite - she completely melted down. Just recently settled into a 14U B level team and she is performing like she used to. And most importantly, I see big smiles from her on the field again. She is definitely "big fish, small pond". Wish we hadn't wasted half the season living out MY "A" level dreams...parenting lesson #202.

I hear you.

DD 1 was a talented softball player, but didn't start playing until the 7th grade.

Fall of 8th grade she was still in 12U rec league. Fall of 9th grade she was in 16U TB. She really did progress that fast. Coaches told me they would see a noticeable improvement from day to day. However, in 16U TB she felt like a fish out of water. She wasn't with her friends, and she was more of a social player. She was clearly the 11th best player on an 11 person TB team, although she was the fastest base runner, and had a lot of potential.

So she quit her TB team and softball along with it.

Her friends wanted to try the freshman JV2 team at her HS, so she joined them. She was clearly better than the other players on the team, but she had a lot of fun. Then when her friends got tired of the game, so did she, and she quit softball. She enjoyed the big fish small pond thing. Coaches said she might have talent to play in college, she didn't want to.

In the end, it's about the girls, not about the parents.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12