What do you think is better for development...to be a top player on a B team, or to b

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
One size doesn't fit all, IMO. Except for playing time. You need that.

But the biggest obstacle to long-term development is burnout/quitting. The road is strewn with players my DD has passed only because they didn't stick with it. Which is fine. They're probably doing something else that is cool.

But IMO, young kids need to be in situations that nurture their enjoyment of the game and make them want to come back year after year. For some, maybe that's a high-level team ASAP. For others, they're fine to take their time, stick with their B-level teams with teammates and coaches that they enjoy, big fish in smaller pond. At some point, you have to stretch yourself, but more people rush that process than go too slow. I've seen kids that really loved softball until somebody thought their 10-year-old needed to be on some cut-throat team that only cared how well they could pitch or hit. Put them on teams that they really enjoy being on. If they have the talent and desire, the cream will rise to the top in the end.

Nov 18, 2013
DD was the top player on her 10U and 12U B teams. She didn't flourish until she was one of the weaker girls on a 14U A travel team. Coaching was the key to her success. She got circle time in pool play and friendlies, but was the clear #3 pitcher. Playing with A level players who were more committed motivated her to work harder. In most parts of the country B teams are best suited for families with other priorities or girls playing for fun and not wanting to put a lot of time and effort. That can be frustrating for girls seeking to play at higher levels.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Dd was a top tier player on weaker team and did okay but wasnt growing (10u). Changed to a new team that was older (12u) that pushed her to grow, and she did well, but still we weren't winning many games. The next season we change back to a 10u A level team. Tough practices and tough competition but coaches were not playing her in her regular positions, C, 3B, or P but did get RF and 2B when other 2B was pitching. We won a good many games and learned about a winning mentality, BUT she was not growing because the coaching staff would not play her in her "normal" positions. She ended the season so frustrated I thought she was going to quit altogether. Then her previous coach from 2 years ago talked to her and asked if she wanted to play with him again. Now granted we are B level but play open tourneys and DD has blown up! She is happy, looks forward to practice, loves tourneys , plays all her regular positions, hits 2,3,4,5 and has good friends on the team that she associates with out side of the game. Not back stabbing underhanded BS that was going on with the "strong A level" team. (Which by the way lost 9 players in 8 months, and while they have rebuilt, they are still jacks IMO)

So I guess it really depends on what your player is looking for. There is a team for everyone.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2015
DD played on a 12B team, was #1 P and played every inning. Moved to 12u A team and is still #1 pitcher but does not play every inning. Pitching against very good teams makes her better and since she is #1 she gets her innings but not as many at bats or secondary position play. Team is better but is that really better for DD? Pitching yes but everything else? We're not so sure. And finding the right balance close to home is even tougher.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The "one size doesn't fit all" comment is on point. There are many factors involved even beyond talent level. Think about school. If DD is consistently getting 80s in math, I wouldn't even consider moving her into a honors class. I doubt the higher competition is going to convince her to work harder. But if DD is consistently getting 98s in math, we should at least consider the honors class. But then you need to take the other factors into consideration. Will failure motivate her to work harder? Or will it crush her and force her to hide in a corner?

At 2nd year 14u, one of DD's best friends decided to switch from B to A. Her dad asked my opinion. Like an idiot, I was honest with him. I told him that she was a good player, but I didn't think the move was right for her. He took offense to my comments and we really don't talk much any more. On her "B" team she was the #1 pitcher and typically batted between 4 and 6 in the lineup. When she wasn't pitching, she played 1b or 3b. But she was typically on the field nearly every game. During her first year on the "A" team she pitched a grand total of 3 innings and played only a few innings per weekend as a substitute. She went from playing 90% of the team's innings to playing 20% of the team's innings.

It can be a great choice for some players. And it can be a terrible choice for others.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
It's hard to get the attention of the coaches if you are the youngest player and towards the bottom of a really good A team. Players can easily get taken for granted and the coaches will look past how hard they have been working to get better.

Hey coach, I'm leading the team with better than a .600 OBP and killing the ball.

Coach; work on your defense and we might get you in the lineup.

Player; I haven't made an error in 3 years.

Mar 21, 2013
unfortunately, A large number of coaches are not out for the best interest of their girls, and as a result making decisions regarding this issue are much tougher than they should be. Again, there is a team for every player, but not a player for every team. I believe the right team is one where you are in the top half in talent, with players that have similar goals, commitment and work ethic being a plus. That being said an equally big factor is being on a team that plays other good teams. I'm not saying you have to get your butt kicked every week because that is not healthy either, but too many coaches out there like to play teams they know they can beat. This is great for the record and ego, but not productive in the long run.

I don't care how good your team is, if you don't play against talented players you will not improve. To be a good pitcher you have to pitch against good hitting teams, and if you want to be a good hitter you have to face good pitching.

Feb 7, 2013
You want to be on the most competitive team where DD has an opportunity to earn playing time. Getting better is about challenging yourself. If you are dominating "B" league, time to move up in competition.

To get better, don't forget the hard work away from the field is just as important as what team your DD is on.

Jun 29, 2013
Agree with all the posts stating you need to play the most competitive ball you can, with the emphasis on play. My DD's have been on the 2-30 teams more than I care for and that can be draining. We've been on the .600 teams where they haven't had much playing time. Neither is ideal, but sitting on the bench all the time doesn't really encourage them after a while and the difference between the kid getting 2-3 AB over a weekend vs. the one getting 15-18 increases the difference between the players.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12