What do you mean by PUSH?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
The following isn't about FFS's or SL's DDs, but about the larger picture of hitting and mechanics...

There are a lot of us (myself included) who chase the ideal of understanding and teaching high-level hitting mechanics that match up with what the best hitters are doing in order to improve our DD's success at the plate. This is a valid concept. Better mechanics equals better hitting - suddenness, power, etc.

However, that's not the only factor involved with hitting a moving ball with a stick, and NOT the most important factor.

The athletic ability and coordination required to get the barrel of the bat in contact with the ball is the single biggest determining factor in hitting success. This ability can be improved with work, and mechanics can help get the most out of their ability, but there is a limit with most players. That limit is what will have the most affect on a hitter's success as they progress in the sport. The players that reach the highest levels of the game, and continue to have tremendous success, are gifted with the ability to make that connection happen at a level that most of us will never get near.

My point is, perfect swing mechanics don't necessarily equal hitting success. You still have to get the stick on the ball.

Looking at (what I know about) Cannonball's DD as an example, CB has stated a few times that BB isn't a great natural athlete. She has worked hard to build strength and speed, and this has certainly helped her success. There are some who say that BB's swing mechanics could be better. Maybe that's true. However, there is no arguing about the success she has had on the field. "Natural athlete" or not, she is gifted with the athletic skill of getting her bat to the ball under challenging circumstances. Without that skill, the story is much different.

(IMO, YMMV)

As for FFS's DD...

SL - Do you know for a FACT that she was cut because of her BA, or that she quit because of lack of success on the field? Is it possible that she was injured? Maybe she found that she couldn't balance what she NEEDED to do for her education with what she WANTED to do on the field (this has been the story a couple of my friend's DDs). After all, for ALMOST ALL college softball players, there isn't another step up the ladder in the sport, but there is a job/career that may be largely affected by academic success.

Eric, very well said! Great mechanics help you get the most out of what you have, but they don't necessarily mean you'll be invincible. Thanks for this post.

Feb 20, 2012
a push is when you squish the bug turn early then push the ball instead of drive the hips linear then rotate to get the wrist activated so you don't push.

Feb 20, 2012
I don't think you can do that. To be able to see what you are talking about you would have to be a high level fastpitch AA player and I don't think you have ever played. So can you hit.??

Feb 20, 2012
Push is always a very bad thing. You need to use the wrist like in a golf swing. What do you think would happen if a golfer pushed the ball instead of snapping the wrist through.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC