What are the tells that a team is using re-engineered bats?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 28, 2019
Aside from the fact that they are swapping out 2 bats for the entire lineup.

Ball sounds different off of Ghost bats that everyone knows the sound of.

Visual performance difference.

Go?

Jun 20, 2015
if it happens to break the barrel interior will show machining marks.

visible lines on barrel from rolling are also sometimes visible.

Also, possible end cap issues (mis-matched colors, loose, etc)

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Saw a 14 year old short hop the 315 ft sign in CF. The sound was very loud and different. I suspect inner barrel removed. What are you going to do?
There is that video of college player check swing homerun. I question that too.
Is there a way to petition a bat check in cillege ball??

May 28, 2019
also, if the bat fails compression testing. But that's more of a college and men's slow pitch thing.
well failing compression testing can be due to a number of factors, not solely from re-engineering from what i think i know. It certainly screams foul play when they are all using same 2 bats and this is a very legit A class team.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
well failing compression testing can be due to a number of factors, not solely from re-engineering from what i think i know. It certainly screams foul play when they are all using same 2 bats and this is a very legit A class team.
College teams hand bats down to the next player all the time.

May 17, 2012

They could be team bats.

Have your catcher take a look at it after an at-bat. Have your catcher start a dialog with the umpire about it if anything is off. See how the other coach reacts.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
If done right, you have no idea. Its just speculation unless you cut it open.
Will sound be different on a few bats, yes...but are people sound experts?
There are some bats that still dont have inner tech, so is everybody sure what that sound gonna be like?

To be honest, there are more complainers around than altered bats in fastpitch.
(you know what I mean...oh, this girl hit it farther than my daughter, it has to be altered) :).

Some bats are very thin (Ghosts), if you take out the inner barrel, they will get destroyed in no time. Now, can you shave and reinstall the inner tech, yes, but performance wont be that much better as the inner barrel
is going to stop the flex before it gets crazy. LS I think can be done a little bit if you are careful.

There is one brand that can still be done well because it doesnt have any inner tech ;).

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32