What are some of the "unwritten rules" of softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
If the behind the plate ump takes a shot, the catcher should go out and talk to the pitcher to give him time him recover. Coach should also do a quick check on him, even if only from the dugout, to make sure he's ok.

Jun 8, 2016
If the behind the plate ump takes a shot, the catcher should go out and talk to the pitcher to give him time him recover. Coach should also do a quick check on him, even if only from the dugout, to make sure he's ok.
So yelling from behind the OF fence "Rub some dirt on it.." is not acceptable? Asking for a friend..

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
If your team is up big, don't expect to get any close calls. Also expect the strike zone to increase in size for your team. And no, you as a coach should not argue this.

Jul 29, 2016
Often see teams where one of the infielders collects and stacks infields gloves
(outfielder does outfield gloves)
So when they go out on the field teammates on base will have their glove handed to them.

Although with helmets at bat and visors/hats on the field...
Runners comming off the bases may need to husle into the duggout for a moment for a change of other gear.

Back in the day, major league players used to leave their gloves the the edge of the infield so they could grab them on the way out.

Oct 28, 2015
Central PA
Well I just saw Batbusters Stith steal second up 8-0 in 3rd inning against a team that is clearly overmatched so not doing something like that (which might cause you to get plunked in baseball) isn't one of them I guess.

Edit: Having a run rule I suppose can justify doing that..I don't know.
Run rule can justify the aggressive base running. Recently we had the top seed on a 100 degree Sunday and our first opponent was very outmatched so we made a deliberate attempt to end the game in 3 innings and succeeded.

Jun 8, 2016
Run rule can justify the aggressive base running. Recently we had the top seed on a 100 degree Sunday and our first opponent was very outmatched so we made a deliberate attempt to end the game in 3 innings and succeeded.
Yeah sometimes my head is still stuck in untimed baseball games with no run rules :)

Nov 28, 2019
These are all on the field type stuff:
-Don’t warm up, play pepper, ect in front of the dugout. Good grief, you got the entire outfield.
-A ground ball should NEVER go under your glove.
-If your pitcher is throwing a no hitter you don’t talk about it.
-Don’t step on the foul line when RUNNING on and off the field.
-Run on and off the field. This one should probably be written in team rules.
-And here’s another one that should be written in the team rules.
Don’t talk to anyone on the other side of
fence. For the love of our Lord, Mom
and Dad will have plenty of time to
coach you up on their own time.
Those were the first that came to mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi