What are some of the top Pitching DVDs?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2012
Hi we are new here just found the site, is there any other out there with all this good info on softball ? My daughter has seen Doug Gills a couple times at one of his clinics and he in my opion does a great job with her, and also know of another girl he has taught right up from when she was young and is now moving into Div-1 ball next year. I have thought about getting his one and two dvd for startes but havent, does anybody have them used would buy them from you if so ? great site and looks like great folks.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
If she's 9 and she's literally just starting, you don't need a video yet. show her the foot placement and basic motion and give her a place she can practice. (Friend of mine hung a heavy blanket off the side of his garage and his daughter goes out and throws into that)

Bill Hillhouse is the best so his video is probably the best too. You can find him on YouTube too, maybe enough there to get started. There's a whole lot to pitching and it is unlike anything else you do in sports-especially if you are coming from a baseball background like most fathers.

FWIW- Bill is an excellent teacher and really understands his students. Once a month I drive almost 2 hours each way to see him for a 1 hour lesson.

Jun 13, 2009
Obbay
You're right. I drive a pretty good distance to see BH too. I love the rapport he has with the kids he works with, making them laugh and ENJOY the lesson. The first thing he told us (DD and I) was that he never played baseball and grew up playing fastpitch, meaning he tried and has gone through EVERYTHING that a young pitcher goes through as they learn to pitch. That's a pretty powerful thing to say but it helped my DD gain immediate trust/confidence in him. Knowing that he understands how hard it is to do and what must go in to it gives a unique insight. We also made the trek to see him pitch too in a game. While it was something incredible to watch (even having watched the best D1 programs at the WCWS doesn't compare), it was even more important to see that he teaches EXACTLY the same way as he pitches.

Cg

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
If she's 9 and she's literally just starting, you don't need a video yet. show her the foot placement and basic motion and give her a place she can practice. (Friend of mine hung a heavy blanket off the side of his garage and his daughter goes out and throws into that)
Good advice to a point obbay. But if Dad isn't farmiliar with what to look for a good video can help you avoid some of the more common pitfalls with teaching DD at the beginning.

Oh and I agree the Hillhouse video is a good one for teaching the basics to new pitchers and bucket dads.

Jan 26, 2012
I should point out that although she is 9 and just starting out as a pitcher, she catches many of the "lessons" her travel teams has for the team pitchers! All lessons start with wrist flips and work up to full pitching motions stressing "HELLO ELBOW"! They have had about 3 or 4 different pitching instructors so far and they have ALL STRESSED HELLOW ELBOW!

So my learning about Hello Elbow being incorrect on this site and the $$$$ for a good instructor lead me look towards teaching her myself!

I now have Bill's DVDs and have learned alot! It was actually on its way before I posted this question here (based on other posts I saw mentioning it!) my Post was more to verify It was a good DVD and to see if others were recomended!

My daughter practices with her team as a catcher/OF 3 days a week! (All winter) But since watching the DVD she has been practicing pitching every night on her own in the basement for an hour. If she keeps this up I will post Video to see how she is coming along. I played baseball never FP-softball so I really do not judge SB pitchers very well, even when viewed frame by frame! (I though Hellow Elbow was right till 2 weeeks ago!)

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2009
Does anyone know where to find the Buiding the House video? There not available through Amazon or anywhere else U can find.
Thanks 1999coach

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Like n-s-d I got mine on Amazon a few months ago but it apprears to h ave been pulled and Bill has the following message on his website
We hope to have the House of Pitching video series back in the store soon. Unfortunately, it is not for sale here due to some contract negotiations with the online distribution.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Something Bill teaches newbies that I don't remember seeing in his video is pitching into a mirror. practice the motion indoors with balled up socks or something and pitch into a full length mirror. I think I got one for $5.00 (definitely less than $10)at Home Depot.

when you are learning a different motion than what you've been doing since you started pitching, it takes a lot of reps before it will feel natural.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG