Well Coached or Over-Coached?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2010
North Louisiana
On our competitive 12-U team we pride ourselves on being a "teaching" team and running a tight practice. However, as we got later into the season it seemed our girls lost enthusiasm and focus. In other words, we began to underachieve, at least to our expectations. After looking at all the different possibilities (fatigue, possible lineup/batting order changes, etc.) I now wonder if the fault lies directly on us as coaches, trying to work on one part of the game and not feeding another-letting the kids relax and play!

We have signals and plays for just about every situation and use them. I'm thinking maybe we need to scale back some and see if things change. We've planted the seeds, now trust that they'll grow without constant watering!

Oct 3, 2009
On our competitive 12-U team we pride ourselves on being a "teaching" team and running a tight practice. However, as we got later into the season it seemed our girls lost enthusiasm and focus. In other words, we began to underachieve, at least to our expectations. After looking at all the different possibilities (fatigue, possible lineup/batting order changes, etc.) I now wonder if the fault lies directly on us as coaches, trying to work on one part of the game and not feeding another-letting the kids relax and play!

We have signals and plays for just about every situation and use them. I'm thinking maybe we need to scale back some and see if things change. We've planted the seeds, now trust that they'll grow without constant watering!

I agree it is a balancing act. This year we moved up to 16u and I worry sometimes we have swung the pendulum a little too far the other way but I digress.

To your post, in past years I have felt like we did the same with our team. We prided ourselves on highly organized practices and having a sign or defense for every conceivable situation. And it seemed to sap the life out of the team. Even when they won it just seemed to lack the joy you would expect. So we decided one night when they were first year 14u to turn over a game to the girls almost completely. In other words, we let them run warm-up, catcher call pitches, and we did minimal signs from 3rd but told them to watch the corners and decide on bunts etc. We obviously called steals, hit and runs etc but again tried to keep it to a minimum. And I have to say it was very eye opening to us that night because they absolutely ran a great warm-up (without us imagine that!! :))and played an outstanding game where they really cut loose and had a great time. From that time on we have adjusted our approach significantly. Like you say you plant the seeds teach them the basic skills and then let them play.

That is basically how we run our 16u team now but like I say there are ditches on both sides of the road and it is a balancing act.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
If fatigue is a factor I suggest scaling back the intensity of practices
late in the season. If my team is playing every week and I see noticeable
fatigue, I lighten up the mid week workouts and practices so they can rest.
It is not unreasonable to cancel a regularly scheduled practice so they have a chance to
be kids. These are 12 yo girls, it is a grind to play and practice a combined 5 days a week
in mid-summer.

Apr 6, 2012
I agree with many things said here. First, I think part of our job as coaches is to get kids to learn the game both mentally and physically. That means they have to be able to make decisions on their own. That means that sometimes they are going to make mistakes, but sometimes that is the best way to learn. We want them to be thinking, independent players. That doesn't mean we stopped coaching, because we still work with them, teach them, etc. It means listening to them tell you why they do the things they do on the field. It's not as instant as just telling them what they should be doing, but it gets them thinking and it also lets us know what they know.

We have started to let our catchers call pitches in some cases. Some are better at it than others. This not only teaches the catchers, but the pitchers as well.

Our girls know our warm up routine and they run it themselves. Of course, we are there too, but we just don't take total control of everything.

It is a fine line, but you have to be willing to give up some of that total control in order for them to learn and grow. Kind of like having kids!

Jul 26, 2010
One of the things that helps the most is to maintain a dynamic batting order and starting positions. Make sure that each player understands that their "spot" can be lost and gained at any time during practice or play. If your "best 9" is whatever the coach has decided the best 9 are and never changes, the kids will quickly loose any and all desire to overachieve, because they will see little point. If they have a spot, they're safe no matter what, and if they don't have a spot, they have no way of moving up. This is where having a roster of 13-15 really pays off, as it creates constant internal competition, which is a very positive and useful thing when we're taking about competitive sports.

Changing up practice and routine can help, but in reality, your kids need to be self-motivated. Give them a real reason to be motivated and you won't have to "go out of your way" to make up reasons.

-W

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC