Welcome to Bulletspin Season!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2023
I think the counter argument is: why not just throw a drop or rise inside, both of which move more, thus minimizing the margin for error? That’s where I think conventional wisdom matches the data. Pros with lots of experience, especially in the men’s game, like Hillhouse, emphasize up, down, change, almost (or entirely) to the exclusion of east-west pitches. So can you throw a pitch that moves two inches to the arm side? Sure, but is it worth the time to learn and practice that pitch at the expense of learning something that may move more?

It's all part of the cat and mouse game right? If the batters you face are NEVER looking for east-west movement, that movement is probably going to be pretty effective.

There are a lot of ways to mix pitches, speeds, locations, etc and be a successful pitcher. As long as you know WHY you're learning a new pitch, HOW you're going to deploy it, etc. Just knowing how to throw it a little bit isn't the same as knowing how to USE it. And if you're getting the results you need without a pitch, or if a pitch isn't getting you the results you want, don't throw it.

Apr 14, 2022
That's a great point. How many MLB pitchers have six pitches like Suzie from the Hitten Kittens 10U platinum team does? Master the fastball first, then move on to the change. After that, I'd say drop since a properly thrown fast all should have downward movement anyway. If you get those, go to a rise. Still, that's a lot of pitches to perfect.
Even if an MLB has 5 pitches they rarely throw more than 3 to a batter. Usually have 3 they throw to righties and 3 to lefties.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I just find it hard to get excited about a pitch where the average break by the pitchers at the most competitive programs in the country is LESS than 2 inches. Remember, 2 inches of break is in the elite category. From release to contact can you even see a 2 inch break. If you think that 2 inches is significant then I recommend you go get a ruler and see how small it really is.

Jun 18, 2023
Even if an MLB has 5 pitches they rarely throw more than 3 to a batter. Usually have 3 they throw to righties and 3 to lefties.

And they're often variations of the same thing. Slightly different fastballs, etc.

"Darvish relies on 8 pitches. Slider (23.1%) Four Seamer (22.4%) Sinker (14.5%) Sweeper (12.3%) Split Finger (8.4%) Curveball (7.8%) Cutter (5.9%) Knuckle Curve (5.6%)"

Jun 29, 2023
I've caught a lot of pitchers over the last couple of years. Some throw 2 or 3. Some throw throw 5-6. Some think they throw way more pitches than they actually do. I don't really care what they throw, hopefully we can figure out how to be effective with whatever they have.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207