Weather to play competitive vs rec

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I like seeing discussions about “highly competitive 8U COACH pitch travel”.
:) Hear those 'Coach Pitchers' dont need much warm up befor games. Wonder what their favorite grip is?
Is it the two finger shot glass grip or 4 fingers on the mug style? They must be really competitive, see some training on skeeball at the arcade.
Roll and snap.
Roll and snap.

Jul 31, 2015
We moved to TB in the spring of second year 12U, after DD had taken the Fall off and not played for 7 months.

She’s since told me “that's when I knew softball was for me. I couldn’t stand not playing.”

But great question by the OP.

When kids ask to do something, that’s when you know they want it.

So when parents say “oh, she’s looking for a higher level of competition” - ask the player what they think. And then really listen.

BTW - I would suggest moving to a local or B-level travel team, even for a single season, before moving to true A ball.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
My DD made the jump from rec to travel the second year of 12U. I think we waited one year too long. The first year of 12U coaches were fighting over her at the draw and she was a hitting/pitching machine. When she went to travel there was a bit of a learning curve as the other girls already knew a lot more about the game and had better running/hitting/fielding technique. But that could have just been the coaching at rec. level - daddy ball but nice fair guys who fostered a love of the game.

I'm guessing and hoping that your daughter caught up quickly.

I agree with you second year 12U is a bit late. My younger daughter is in first year 12U and these girls are light years ahead of most rec girls as they've played high-level travel for 2-3 year already. My older daughter joined a 14U travel team last fall and is behind for sure.

Oct 4, 2018
Yup!! So true. Boggles my mind when I see the ads on Facebook for new 8u TB teams looking for "dedicated and committed" girls for their 8u team. LMAO.... 😵 Dedicated and committed 7 and 8 yr olds?!?!?! Good grief!

Sooo many new young 8u and 10u "TB" teams out here in So Cal due to leagues not playing.

I've seen 8U travel teams with those posts for years. Well before Covid (here in Georgia). And yes, it's a bit crazy.

May 1, 2018
My DD wanted to stop playing rec at 10U. She was frustrated with the girls not catching balls, not hitting well. She also turned on a ball and hit the firstbase square in the chest and scared the heck out of everyone, since the girl never even moved.

Mar 6, 2016
:) Hear those 'Coach Pitchers' dont need much warm up befor games. Wonder what their favorite grip is?
Is it the two finger shot glass grip or 4 fingers on the mug style? They must be really competitive, see some training on skeeball at the arcade.
Roll and snap.
Roll and snap.

Actually... back in 8U in our league, coaches would come in to pitch if the pitcher threw 4 balls to a hitter. Instead of a walk, the hitter would then hit off her own coach. BUT, the rule was that whatever the strike count was, stayed intact. So, say a girl got 4 balls but also had 2 strikes on her in that at bat. The coach (Me) would come in and that girl only got ONE pitch to swing at. The coach only got the # of pitches left to reach 3 strikes.

So, if the batter had 0 strikes on her in the count, the coach would get 3 pitches. and the batter has to hit one of those 3.
If she had 1 strike, the coach had 2 pitches
If she had 2 strikes, the coach had ONE pitch to groove for the batter and she had to swing.

Talk about pressure!!! 2 outs, bases loaded and the batter has 2 strikes and 4 balls...here comes coach. Ok, coach you got ONE pitch...make it count!

And we had to be in contact of the pitching rubber too. 30ft for 8u. Let's just say you feel like a total A$$ when you "yip" a pitch 3 ft over her head or into the dirt at the plate and she MUST swing at it. Striking out a 7yr old is not enjoyable. 😭 And man oh man, if it's my own kid!!!??? I never heard the end of it at home! :mad:😭

so, YES!! Coaches "warmed up" a bit before the game to practice for their relief pitcher duties coming soon. lol

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Actually... back in 8U in our league, coaches would come in to pitch if the pitcher threw 4 balls to a hitter. Instead of a walk, the hitter would then hit off her own coach. BUT, the rule was that whatever the strike count was, stayed intact. So, say a girl got 4 balls but also had 2 strikes on her in that at bat. The coach (Me) would come in and that girl only got ONE pitch to swing at. The coach only got the # of pitches left to reach 3 strikes.

So, if the batter had 0 strikes on her in the count, the coach would get 3 pitches. and the batter has to hit one of those 3.
If she had 1 strike, the coach had 2 pitches
If she had 2 strikes, the coach had ONE pitch to groove for the batter and she had to swing.

Talk about pressure!!! 2 outs, bases loaded and the batter has 2 strikes and 4 balls...here comes coach. Ok, coach you got ONE pitch...make it count!

And we had to be in contact of the pitching rubber too. 30ft for 8u. Let's just say you feel like a total A$$ when you "yip" a pitch 3 ft over her head or into the dirt at the plate and she MUST swing at it. Striking out a 7yr old is not enjoyable. 😭 And man oh man, if it's my own kid!!!??? I never heard the end of it at home! :mad:😭

so, YES!! Coaches "warmed up" a bit before the game to practice for their relief pitcher duties coming soon. lol
The intensity factor is off the charts for those 'coach pitchers'...cant imagine the facebook puplic shaming that could follow...

And what happens if the coach hits a batter with a pitch, could get ugly real quick ;)

Aug 23, 2016
And what happens if the coach hits a batter with a pitch, could get ugly real quick ;)

I've seen it happen to a coach I know! It was the last inning of the game, his team was down by one, two outs, bases loaded, his kid (7 years old) was hitting with two strikes on her. And then he hit her with the pitch for strike 3. His little girl was crying, his wife was not happy, it was not a good day for him.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi