WE need more female coaches~

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
When I coached rec softball, we were part of Little League. I was our local representative at the regional meetings and found value in those meetings. Enough that I asked other coaches to join me once in a while, but very few were interested. Myself and the baseball representative even tried to have voluntary coaching clinics locally so the other coaches didn't have to travel. Only about 20% of the coaches participated.

As a travel ball coach we always registered through ASA (USA Softball). Each year our coaching staff participated in what they call ACE training. Most of the videos were narrated by Mike Candrea, and I found some value in them as well.

Just like anything else, you get out what you put in...
Interesting 20%
My own 'guestimating' has also come to about 20% actually paying attention to gathering new knowledge.

This may sound like a limited # survey because its just my experiences here in so cal...
But i do notice more
'Do it themself coaches'
Than coaches who utilize resources and growing what they are trying to do.
The Brite side~
Because people here on DFP pretty much use this as a resource ....
DFP'ers are top 20% :) 👍

Nov 8, 2020
While saying that you need more of "insert gender or race" in to certain professions is both sexist and racist, I do agree that girls softball could use more female head coaches.

My kid did play for a female TB coach for about 3 months in 2nd year 12s. They didn't play enough games or hold enough practices and when they did play games the reason she put certain players at certain positions was baffling to me. And all of the smiling and enthusiasm after losses was disgusting so I yanked my kid over Xmas break and went elsewhere.

I have seen some female TB coaches get after it and work their kids hard, Corona Angels has a few of them, that just wasn't the experience we had.

The kid does go to female pitching coaches and hitting coaches, her strength and conditioning coaches are female as is the organization's pitching coach and her varsity HS coach. But her TB coaches have been male since 12U

I dont know why more women don't coach but I also don't have the time to think about it between pitching lessons, hitting lessons, fielding classes, strength and conditioning classes, practices, games and relacing 20 gloves a week on top of the 9-5..... or 630-4 as mine seems to be

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Which explains why we have coaches belittle, berate, play favorites, talk behind people's backs, and exhibit all sorts of negative behavior and a lack of communication skills.
I am on the board(behind the scenes) of our local softball league with over 800 players last year. Looks like 550 with about week to go for registration this year. It was brought to my attention that one of our All star coaches exhibited this very same behavior over the summer (word for word almost) while coaching his 8U team. Really couldn't address the behavior 6 months later, but we had to let him know that his behavior was unacceptable and he is being put on notice.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I seen good female TB coaches. But the majority, sadly, I don't like their style. Sometime I think they come on strong because they think that if they dont they will be seen or thought of as being soft. My DD will not play for a coach that belittle, berate, play favorites, talk behind people's backs, and exhibit all sorts of negative behavior and a lack of communication skills. Male or female.

Mar 28, 2020
That was an excellent Article. Keep in mind the baby that wrote it was only 13. I am impressed

I have tried over and over to get my daughters to coach…..they don’t want to…..I have asked all thier friends to coach……none of them want to coach.

One daughter played competitive/travel basketball received multiple D1 offers in Basketball but choose Track. She received an 100% full ride D1 offer from a southland conference school. She broke multiple school records during her collegian years. She is not interested in coaching. I tried to get her to come out a coach her little sisters relay team. Nope -- no desire

My other daughter played travel softball and played at a D2 college with a small scholarship. She has a 5-year-old daughter who plays Tee Ball. I told her to volunteer to coach her daughter. Nope her husband does it. I reminded her how it felt when she went to a camp and was coached by a woman. Still no movement.

There is a 20-year difference between our oldest two girls and the baby girl.

On my baby girls relay team one of my older daughters’ friend’s daughter is on the team. I tried to get her to coach the relay team. No interest. They don’t mind helping my wife with fundraising but no desire to coach.

Because of this article I called both my daughters and asked…..why don’t yall want to coach you met all the requirements. Both said it takes too much of their time and they are ok with cheering on the kids than teaching the kids……

Really need a woman to reply.

Nov 8, 2020
The desire to coach comes down to personality and interests. Women are less likely to watch sports, less likely to participate in sports and less likely to coach sports.
You can't regulate people's interests

The conversation about what coaches make and how come someone makes more than others is ridiculous. Does Nick Saban make more than all of the coaches of women's sports combined, of course he does, and he's worth it.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Well now I know Radcatcher is a Woman...see that 13 year old taught me another thing!
Much like the comments made here, this topic is open for all members to respond to. Whoever decides to post on this topic does so just as whoever applies for a position, volunteers to coach, ... do in society. I do give the young lady credit. I also suggest that the topic isn't as simple as she seemed to make it in the article.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse