WE need more female coaches~

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2015
Very interesting. My younger daughters team had a female assistant coach and the mom's chased her off the team with their constant whining and talking behind the head coaches back. The mom's felt more comfortable talking to her another female than the male head coach and being a young woman she felt the need to try to please them which anyone who has coaching experience knows is pretty much impossible. She eventually couldn't take it anymore and left the team.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Oct 1, 2014
USA
I for one am glad to see this being discussed openly. Yes, there are many factors involved and nowhere should a cookie cutter approach be applied. My DD's have had a mix of both male & female coach's and we've had solid role models and good coaches of both genders...sadly the reverse has been true also.

I have been wanting to suggest this book to my fellow DFP'ers and this is as good of an opportunity as any. Both of my DD's, my DW and myself are all reading it right now and it covers a lot of the Title IX issues and female coaching questions being brought up here (go directly to chapter 6 "You've come a long way baby" if you want to jump ahead. I think you'll find this book very interesting on many levels (no, I don't get a kickback). ;-)

Women's College Softball on the Rise: A Season Inside the Game
Book by Mark Allister

I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on the book as well as his overall take on the issue of female coaches.

Stay safe out there today!

Jul 13, 2020
Several post mentioned there may not be that many women that last in coaching. I think some women coaches may decide to leave because of the unequal treatment that they can receive at some schools. My wife has been the Head Softball coach at her school for 3 years. She was assistant one year before getting the job. When the job opened she was required to go through several lengthy interviews and basically led on for several weeks before being named to the job. The next year the baseball coach job opened and the assistant was put in place with no interviews and an extremely short process. The softball program has been extremely successful since she took over. First year they made a deep run in the playoffs then made it all the way to state the next. They were one of the highest ranked teams in the state last year before Covid cancelled the season. The softball games have become an event and routinely draw more fans to games then any other sport beside football. Despite this success the softball team still is treated unfairly at times. She had a new batting cage all but paid for but had it fall through because the boys were not getting anything even though they already had a batting cage next to their field that softball was forced to use. Right now softball is by far the most successful program on campus and there is definite jealousy from other coaches instead of support. These things have made her reconsider if this will be a long term career for her.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
She still makes less than the OU female bball coach who hasn’t won anything...
Interesting point. I wonder what the ticket sales are for women's bball vs. fastpitch at OU.
I have watched Gasso's teams on TV quite a few times but I've never watched OU women's basketball on TV. Seems to me the more valuable coach is the one who brings more recognition to the university and frequently has "championship" used in the same sentence as her name.

Jun 8, 2016
Interesting point. I wonder what the ticket sales are for women's bball vs. fastpitch at OU.
I have watched Gasso's teams on TV quite a few times but I've never watched OU women's basketball on TV. Seems to me the more valuable coach is the one who brings more recognition to the university and frequently has "championship" used in the same sentence as her name.
The bball coach is also a female and at one point was fairly successful but nowhere near as successful as Gasso. When they were winning the bball drew fairly well and may have outdrawn softball but only because the softball stadium seats many fewer people.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
here is an interesting perspective to consider.

If the majority of experiences a young female athlete encounters are male coaches. Who repeatedly belittle, berate and say ignorant stuff
...who then is setting a bad example.

it is true, the same negative traits can be experienced from woman...

Simply put, if there was more of a balance of women and male coaches
possibly we could learn
Its peoples behaviors
Instead of labeling behaviors

imo
Balance is a really important thing!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
here is an interesting perspective to consider.

If the majority of experiences a young female athlete encounters are male coaches. Who repeatedly belittle, berate and say ignorant stuff
...who then is setting a bad example.

it is true, the same negative traits can be experienced from woman...

Simply put, if there was more of a balance of women and male coaches
possibly we could learn
Its peoples behaviors
Instead of labeling behaviors

imo
Balance is a really important thing!
Some of the nastiest coaches my players and students experienced, by their own descriptions, were female coaches. They would belittle, berate, play favorites, talk behind people's backs, and exhibit all sorts of negative behavior. Things they weren't used to with me and my staff (male and female). This went all the way from travel ball through college.

I honestly don't think it's a gender issue. It's more of a people issue, or an ignorance issue. Bad coaches will beget bad coaches, because they make the players under them think that behavior is normal.

What we should be focused on first, in my opinion, is creating standards to which coaches are held. Do all we can to ensure they are exhibiting positive behaviors. Doesn't mean they have to coddle their players, but they should treat them decently - as you should treat any human being. Then really enforce those standards to weed out those who shouldn't be coaching youth sports.

Then, encourage those coaches to find opportunities to expose their players to coaching, which in turn might encourage them to give it a try. For example, when I'm working with a college catcher and then have a young catcher coming for a lesson, I will ask if the college catcher can hang around after her lesson and help with the younger one. They're usually thrilled to be asked. Same for pitchers and hitters. I'll ask the older student to demonstrate, and after she watches the younger player will ask her what she sees or what the younger girl should work on. They're usually reluctant to say much at first, but as they get more comfortable they'll speak up more. By doing this, they get exposed to the idea of coaching and hopefully think "Hey, this might be fun."

By the way, I saw something similar years ago. Michele Smith was conducting a pitching clinic in my area which my younger daughter attended, and she brought along a young pitcher with not much coaching experience at the time (that I know of) to help. I think the younger pitcher may have been just out of college. Michele was great working with the girls, but the younger pitcher struggled a bit. She would offer some suggestions now and then, but mostly would just walk from girl to girl and not say very much. Clearly, she was unsure of herself in that role. But I think Michele saw something in her and thought if she had a chance to gain some experience coaching she might become pretty good at it some day. That younger pitcher's name was Cat Osterman.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06