We are a unique bunch....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
Never been thrilled with my DD's 05 Christmas B'Day. Everyone on her team is always older, a grade higher and more developed. It's definitely cost her some playing time as she's always playing ketchup.

It's tough waiting but I know that in the end always playing against older players will have served her well.

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
Never been thrilled with my DD's 05 Christmas B'Day. Everyone on her team is always older, a grade higher and more developed. It's definitely cost her some playing time as she's always playing ketchup.

It's tough waiting but I know that in the end always playing against older players will have served her well.
Aw man, bummer of a birthday! I will tell mine to stop complaining - but she complains the other direction. Wishes she were a grade younger for recruiting reasons, because it would give her more time to develop. She was the only 14 yo on her varsity team last year. But you're absolutely right - it makes them tougher in the long run!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

DD is a December '99. When she was moving from 12u to 14u without many of her friends (stayed at 12u), I looked at it as a negative. However, looking back at things, I think it worked in her favor. Granted this will depend on the individual and the circumstances, but playing with the older girls helped her progress over the years.

Nov 29, 2009
My DD has an early February birthday, but it really didn't make too much of a difference. She was always playing up.

The only thing she didn't do was play 18U after her freshman year of college. She was eligible. She pitched a lot in college her freshman year and wanted a summer off.

Older DD is 14 months older than the younger DD with a late Nov b/day. So for a few months they are 2 years apart on the age thing each year.

Jun 21, 2015
My son was a hockey player. I still call my softball daughter's conditioning night "dryland." The hockey players called off-ice conditioning "dryland."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 12, 2015
I understand the "young" thing. DD has a September 2001 bday. She is young for travel and really young for 2019 class. She will start her senior year as a 16yo.

Mine is September 06. She's always played with kids a grade older than she is. Most of her team is 2024 grad year; she and one other girl, an 07, are 2025. She's never had problems keeping up; she's a solid player and tall for age. People often assume she's an 05; we got that a lot in the fall when a couple of the tournaments we played in allowed 05 players through Dec in 10U. It's fun to hear snide comments ("So you got an 05 pitcher for this tournament? How many more 05s do you have?") and be able to say "Actually, we have no 05s and our pitcher is the 2nd youngest on our team." So there. haha

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi