WCWS....Pac 10 Again

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2009
For almost 20 years now, I have listened to people vehemently argue how the rest of the country is catching up, and how Ca. dominance is waining but here we are in 2010, and Az and UCLA are in the finals.

Being from Texas, I wish it were true but, yet again, the Pac-10 rises to the top.

Mar 13, 2010
Its a never ending cycle though. The best students want to go these colleges because they're so successful, therefore they keep being successful. Until students want to go to some of the 'lesser' colleges, I can't see it changing.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Agree. However, a lot of those teams have freshmen--such as Ivy Renfroe. She's only going to get better and they could easily make it to the WCWS finals next year.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
Agree. However, a lot of those teams have freshmen--such as Ivy Renfroe. She's only going to get better and they could easily make it to the WCWS finals next year.

Except, of course, the Pac-10 is loaded with great freshmen also, making your point moot.

It's all about respect, and regardless of the sport, the west side of the mountains gets ZERO respect from the "L"east coast sportswriters, and there's just not much we out here can do about it.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
Except, of course, the Pac-10 is loaded with great freshmen also, making your point moot.

It's all about respect, and regardless of the sport, the west side of the mountains gets ZERO respect from the "L"east coast sportswriters, and there's just not much we out here can do about it.

Of course listening to the PAC-10 fan base talk smack about how the rest of us are just a bunch of hack wannabes doesn't do them any favors either.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The rest of the country is catching up. I think the pitching has caught up. There are good pitchers coming out from all over the country. The batting is coming along, and perhaps it is at the same level.

In 2010, the problem is the rest of the game--the fielding, base running and coaching. The kids in California are playing 150 to 200 games per year starting when they are 8 YOA. By the time they hit college, they have seen every scenario possible.

If you watch the kids from California play the field, they have a much different attitude than the rest of the country. They have seen it all, and nothing bothers them. Screaming fans? "Remember those parents with fog horns from Illinois?" Bad umpires? "(YAWN) You should have seen the one back in 2005 at the Gold Nationals". Hot weather? "That 12U tournament in Yuma was worse." Speedy baserunner? "Yeah, she was kind of quick, but that one from Tucson was faster."

Sep 3, 2009

Wow... well I think it's pretty easy to see why.:rolleyes:

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
For almost 20 years now, I have listened to people vehemently argue how the rest of the country is catching up, and how Ca. dominance is waining but here we are in 2010, and Az and UCLA are in the finals.

Being from Texas, I wish it were true but, yet again, the Pac-10 rises to the top.

All you need to understand is to look at the order of finish at ASA USA nationals.

At ages 10, 12, 14, California DOMINATES in sheer numbers of team in the top 20 finishers. This is because they take it more seriously there at younger ages.

By 16 and 18, and 18G, not so much, the girls that got a slower start in much of the rest of the country have basically caught up. Cant forget also the sheer number of poeple/teams in california and their large # of ASA berths too. That would tend to skew the #s in their favor anyway, at least compared to other states but look at the # of teams from AL and GA and TX , etc in the finals.

Trend is clear, by sheer numbers, the teams are represented from California, texas, or the southeastern US,( florida, georgia, alabama,etc). This is obviously where softball is strongest.

This actually makes sense because these are the warmer climates where they can play year-round! Duh.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
I can imaging not having to practice in an unheated pole barn at below or near freezing tempratures is a little bit of an advantage. I just tell the girls to remember those days. They will think fondly upon them come August. Of course when they complain about the heat/humidity of August I tell to keep the memory for January.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Agree Bishop. Varsity tryouts with snow hitting your helmet as you are trying to bat is a memory that frequently comes to mind as it is hot. I'd much rather be hot than cold!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi