Wanting to play but can't

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Maybe your husband needs to grow up and deal with his issues on the side, and let your daughter have fun and play.

This is about her, NOT him.

Sep 29, 2014
There is no rival team? there is only one team and that's the team that asked your daughter to play if the other team no longer exists your ALL need to move on, right now she should be guesting whenever possible to get playing time and looking for a permanent home since the season is really beginning in a few weeks. look for that team that is desperate because a couple players got hurt even it the last minute and the don't really need a pitcher just a player and there are no other offers to pitch that weekend go PLAY!

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
If I remember correctly, if it was up to your husband she would be pitching with hello elbow

Yep, we had many heated discussions about hello elbow because the person who was teaching it put girls through college and has over 20 years coaching softball.
If it wasn't Doug referring Rick to us, who knows how long it would of taken for him to see the benefit of I/R. My husband finally came around after seeing how few walks she gets now and how much more control she has. I have give props to how well Rick explained I/R to my husband in a way that he can see the benefit.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
Maybe your husband needs to grow up and deal with his issues on the side, and let your daughter have fun and play.

This is about her, NOT him.

I have to agree, he has gotten way to involved. I didn't think him being an assistant coach was a good idea because he didn't have the experience. I also know, with him always being deployed with the oldest two, he didn't get the chance to spend time with them like he does with her..now that he is retired from the army.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
Is this about what your daughter wants or about what your husband wants?

Figure that out and then make your decision.

All she wants to do is play…she even mentioned going back to her old team. I try to tell her, I don't think they have a team since a lot of parents pulled their kids off the team after the whole fiasco from the last weekend played.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
wait... isn't this the case of the team that brought in 3-4 guest players a few weeks ago,
to start over the regularly rostered players (your DD included)?

your DH was an assistant coach, and didn't even know of the plan,
until gameday?

and now the team has "fallen apart"?
(are we surprised?)

I think that it's fair to say that you don't owe that former coach or that organization anything.

Guest play for the rival club. Have fun! why not?

Yep, same team…same thing occurred again with all the guest players…but this time a parent(not me..:p) went off on the coach, while they were playing, about all the guest players. It wasn't pretty…other parents almost getting in a fist fight….ump calling timeout, director coming over to see what is going on. Two tournaments in a row, we saw parents going off because guest players were playing while their child either sat or was moved to a different position.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Yep, same team…same thing occurred again with all the guest players…but this time a parent(not me..:p) went off on the coach, while they were playing, about all the guest players. It wasn't pretty…other parents almost getting in a fist fight….ump calling timeout, director coming over to see what is going on. Two tournaments in a row, we saw parents going off because guest players were playing while their child either sat or was moved to a different position.

Ok - that's what i thought.

run away. and fast.

find a reputable organization to play for, with experienced coaches.
DD is working with Rick, now; which is fantastic!
Find her an age-appropriate (don't play up - yet) class A team to play for, if possible.
Avoid one-off, daddy-ball teams at all costs.

That's my best advice.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
It was the guys who were officiating and running the tournaments that went back and told the other coach about my daughter. They said she was a good player who was stuck in a bad situation. For some reason, the coach figured it was the pitchers fault for losing. The one guest pitcher we had did good… my daughter said she would play 2nd(her secondary position) because the girl was a better pitcher than her when they went into the bracket game… She struck out 11 batters in 4 innings and still lost 5-0.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
Ok - that's what i thought.

run away. and fast.

find a reputable organization to play for, with experienced coaches.
DD is working with Rick, now; which is fantastic!
Find her an age-appropriate (don't play up - yet) class A team to play for, if possible.
Avoid one-off, daddy-ball teams at all costs.

That's my best advice.

NC USSSA Pride Elite asked my daughter to come play with them when the season started…My husband wanted to stay and continue to help coaching the girls…and he didn't want to make the 2 hour drive. My daughter also said that she would rather save the cost from playing on their team and use it for lessons to get better.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
and he didn't want to make the 2 hour drive.

2hr. drive each way to a practice does sound too extreme,
especially and the age and level of play she is at right now.

making that trip, probably at least bi-weekly during season,
could be really taxing for most families.

(we did 1hr. each way last season, and that was about my limit.
back to playing locally, now. not becasue we didn't like the former team,
just that a quality opportunity, right here locally, opened-up.
We still love her old teammates and coaches and see them often...)

hopefully, there are other, more workable options for you to choose from.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan