Walk-throughs and long tosses better than pitching?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Any thoughts on what mechanics might change in walk-thorughs and long toss that we could try and translate to the rubber?

Walk-throughs and long toss force the pitcher to use her legs. Your DD is probably losing some leg drive and may be "guiding" her pitches when throwing off a rubber. Practice throwing off a rubber into a tarp @ 20' away and concentrate on leg drive and arm whip. Throwing into a tarp allows the pitcher to focus on her mechanics instead of the results of the pitch.

Nov 29, 2009
Walk-throughs and long toss force the pitcher to use her legs. Your DD is probably losing some leg drive and may be "guiding" her pitches when throwing off a rubber. Practice throwing off a rubber into a tarp @ 20' away and concentrate on leg drive and arm whip. Throwing into a tarp allows the pitcher to focus on her mechanics instead of the results of the pitch.

When it comes to pitching the majority of parents and team coaches have it wrong. They are "Results" driven. They are not happy unless every pitch is a strike. Especially with the younger girls who are learning how to pitch. It has the pitchers worried about the wrong things because the are trying to please their mom or dad by throwing strikes. That's when the slowing down and steering the ball comes into play.

Learning how to pitch needs to be "Process" driven. The young girls need to be focused on what they are doing with their motion. NOT where the ball goes. I will tell my young girls "I don't care where the ball goes." Then I will ask them if anyone has ever told them that before? Pretty much everyone of the will say "No." What I tell my young students and especially the parents while I'm pointing to the pitching rubber, "When everything is right at that end. The other end will take care of itself." Once the parents buy into that thought process the kids seem to learn much quicker.

Jul 22, 2015
Makes good sense. I like the idea of incorporating the tarp/net drill into our practices so we can evaluate mechanics without even being able to see where the pitch ended up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi