Waivers......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2017
Is there anything more meaningless than the endless line of "Covid" waivers we need to sign now. My team hasn't played a single game yet and we have the USSSA waiver, different tournament directors waivers, organization waiver, park district waiver, school district waiver. As manager of the team, I'm starting to wonder if I need to create my own waiver.......

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Good question.
Perhaps the same reasons the examples you gave are doing it
might CYA coaches?
We do know the right to take others
to court hasnt changed.
Might be worth a litle research outside a softball forum ?!

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Covid waivers are stupid. If someone if ok with their kid playing sports they are going to be ok with them doing other things. It would be impossible to prove where you contracted a virus.

May 29, 2015
Covid waivers are stupid. If someone if ok with their kid playing sports they are going to be ok with them doing other things. It would be impossible to prove where you contracted a virus.

Fortunately you don't have to prove "impossibilities" in a civil lawsuit. You don't even have to prove "beyond a shadow of a doubt" (criminal standard) in a civil lawsuit.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I haven't seen a single COVID waiver yet that would hold up in court. Most are terrible. Some try have you agree to waive 'rights' you can't waive. And so on... I just sign them because they are mostly worthless. Most want to try to waive 'gross' or 'intentional' negligence - that doesn't work in most states.

In the scuba industry, the waiver their pro org PADI produces is a legal masterpiece and it still gets knocked back in court often. And they have been improving it for YEARS.

Apr 1, 2017
I just sign them too. Where it is becoming a pain are the ones that require everyone to "sign" it online. So instead of me registering our team for XYZ local tournament and being done, now each of my families need to create an "account" with that director and agree to the meaningless waiver. It just adds another email "back and forth" that nobody wants to deal with.

Dec 11, 2010
How the world would you ever prove that someone contracted a virus on a certain place at a certain time?

I wasted a lot of time on this kind of bs last week. All to play four stupid 70 minute games in a round robin.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
How the world would you ever prove that someone contracted a virus on a certain place at a certain time?

I wasted a lot of time on this kind of bs last week. All to play four stupid 70 minute games in a round robin.
Thats a good question.
Doesnt contact tracing efforts narrow down and or eliminate possible contact points.
Or to acknowledge where virus was an outbreak.
Where did it come from, where did it go?

They do it with food poisonings from restaurants.
Maybe if there is a problem on a team that attends it will be more obvious. If your team played that team or shared the same duggout afterwards that maybe a link?

The legality of waivers how they hold up or not is continually tested in courts.
Wonder what the ratio of success
is for or against them?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez