Move Up to 16U or stay 14U?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
We found it a big jump to go to 16B with a lot of 14s. That’s a tough place to be because the girl’s are all full-grown women at that point.

why does the coach want to move up since most of the team is still 14? Are they key players? And then is the coach going to be anxious to get to 18 in two years?

I think girls — especially at the B level — deserve the chance to play against their own age group. I appreciate the coach’s loyalty to his aging out players, but I think your DDs experience might be better looking for a second-year 14 rather than playing against girls who are just older and better.

ETA: I think if she’s a middling A talent and wants toplay in college, it’s time to start identifying programs she likes and contacting those coaches. Showcases and tourneys aren’t going to help her as much as contact, videos and camps. There’s probably scream for most girls out there, but the work to get there is going to be as much research as it’s going to be field work.

Well said. I agree with this.

Every kid and every situation is different, but playing up isn't always a good thing. I'd rather play "better" in my age range than move up, if I had the choice.

What position does your DD play?

Aug 4, 2020
Well said. I agree with this.

Every kid and every situation is different, but playing up isn't always a good thing. I'd rather play "better" in my age range than move up, if I had the choice.

What position does your DD play?

She plays 3B/CF.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Our team stays mostly local and plays a lot of USSSA tournaments.

She has goals of playing in college and would most likely fit skills wise in the middle skill level of the average "A" teams in the area. (I have no idea if she will be good enough or what level of college she could play. That is up to her and the effort she puts in the next couple of years.)

She is currently playing on a mix team with three 06 girls and the rest 07s. The coach has stated that her intention is to move up to play 16B. We have not yet discussed anything with her about next year and love the coaches philosophy and approach, but our feeling is if she doesn't do something about the bottom of the team, they may struggle playing up. We also don't know whether she plans to stay mainly local again or do some different types of events. I have had some discussions with another coach in our organization that has an all 07 team and has seen my daughter play multiple times and has shown some interest. This team is most likely going to be a registered A team next year and is already playing larger regional tournaments and showcases As tryout season starts getting earlier and earlier, we are in a quandary as to whether we should stay another year in 14U or move up with the current team.

If you were in a similar situation, what would be your decision factors? What is important as we consider and think about college? When do the girls need to start playing in larger regional/national events vs. local USSSA tourneys?

Thanks in advance.
This is a very important part of your assesment in this equation.
Limited exposure of seeing other talent vs age levels.

It maybe worthwhile to do a road trip come nationals to other than usssa event
(on your own to watch),
just to see other talent to help make this decision pending goals.
Big fish little pond...Go see the ocean!

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020
This is a very important part of your assesment in this equation.
Limited exposure of seeing other talent vs age levels.

It maybe worthwhile to do a road trip come nationals to other than usssa event
(on your own to watch),
just to see other talent to help make this decision pending goals.
Big fish little pond...Go see the ocean!

Thanks for the suggestions! We are playing in a non-USSSA nationals event in Tennessee, and live a couple miles away from a large PGF showcase (65 Teams this year) over July 4th weekend and planned on going to watch. A lot of the local "A" programs will be there so it will be interesting to see how those teams stack up against the other teams there.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom