Video cameras

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2012
I want to take videos of DD hitting in game situations. Will be behind the fence. I know nothing about video cameras and have limited $$. Would like to be able to do frame by frame comparisons. I need help.

Jun 12, 2015
We have a little Samsung camcorder and it's ok. We're currently trading stuff (Xbox games we don't play, old phones) at Amazon and getting a GoPro.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Whatever you choose, you will need something small enough to get the lens in the middle of the fence opening. This will help you keep fence out of the shot. GoPro is our prefered camera. They range somewhere between $200 to about $500. The Hero 4 Silver, is the one we are currently recommending to customers. Here is the setup we suggest with this camera:
LynkSpyder Configuration for the GoPro Hero 4
Hero4Silvers.jpg

If you have a decent cell phone, you can also do this
Smartphone with clamp
LynkSpyder Configuration for a Smartphone
smartphone-s.jpg

Jul 4, 2013
I use a GoPro Hero 3+ Black, and, like everyone else says, these cameras work well. But there are other options that might be less expensive. If you have a smartphone, I'd see what you capture with it first if you are concerned with just one hitter as opposed to a whole game.

For comparing swings, as L.J. mentioned, the frame rate is key. Faster frame rates make smooth slow motion video, or at least give you more frames to choose from when stopping video for your comparison. 120 fps (frames per second) is good, but 240 fps is better. If you end up camera shopping, that's a feature you probably want to keep in mind to break down at bats. If you try a smartphone, select a high frame rate option for video if you can.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jtp1221