Video/Camcorder Help?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
Bryan--
I teach video production at my HS, and we use mini DV all the time to move video.

Firewire (IEEE 1394) cables rarely come with cameras. You can get one at Radio Shack for less than 10 bucks, though. You will likely want 4-pin to 6-pin (one small end, one bigger end), as the camera port is likely 4-pin, and the computer port is likely 6-pin.

If your PC has a firewire port (looks like USB, only slightly larger), it probably has some simple editing software. If not, you can download some open source software for free.

You can capture "live," by playing the video from the camera--you should be able to see the video feed on your computer in a viewer window within the editing program.
Once it's captured (digitized), you can move it between computers as a file, or edit it in the program and export it as a finished movie to your DVD burner or YouTube.

As a rule, I have avoided using USB to transfer video, as it gets screwed up a lot. If you end up with an SD card video camera, it will work, but the older Mini DV cams won't record video that way.

Post how it went. If you have problems, I'll try to help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1