USSSA A player guest in a USSSA C tourney

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

We don't have issues with it in ASA where it is illegal and we don't really have much U-Trip so I can't help you there. However, I do know it is considered to be extremely poor form for a team to have pick-up players from higher classifications anywhere I've been in the country. The teams that do so are vilified, and the teams that lend the players are, too. Both teams usually go under in short order after they pull a bush-league stunt like that.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
OK, so you're saying C class is for rec teams? Or entry-level travel teams formed from rec players? I can see the purpose, although I think there's still a better way. Any time you start having strict levels, it will breed unnecessary technical complains about things that aren't really problems.

A major problem we have had here in PA is that teams that were clearly experienced TB teams played down in C year after year in USSSA, hence the trophy hunter's label. This year USSSA instituted the definition for Class C teams such that you can request to be C if your roster was less than 25% experienced travel players (ie not on a previous travel team). The purpose was to level the playing field for less experienced teams and reduce the number of lopsided outcomes. If C teams want higher level competition, they are welcome to register for Open, A, and B tournaments. One would not expect to play against a player registered for an A team in a C tournament.

Jan 7, 2014
From the Kansas & Missouri USSSA Fastpitch Roster Rules

Pick-Up Player Rules: All pick-up player forms MUST to be submitted by 9pm Thursday.

• You MUST play the classification/age of the highest classed player on your team. For example, a 14B team needs to pick up 3 players for the weekend, so they decide to pick up 2 players from a 14B team and 1 player from a 14A team. In this example ,the team must now play 14A or above because of the 14A player that belongs to a 14A team. We are okay with pick -players but need teams to pick up players from a team that is classed the same as your team or lower. In addition, if your team picks up a player that is rostered as a 16B player, the team must play 16B with that player.
  • "B" teams are allowed to pick-up A rostered players from a younger age team. Example: a 14B team may pick-up a player from a 12A team for the weekend.
  • Pick-up players for "C" teams may only come from other "C" teams. "C" teams are not allowed to pick up a player rostered on an A or B team at any age. NO A/B PLAYERS AS PICK-UP PLAYERS FOR C TEAMS.
  • If a "C" team picks up a player registered to a higher age "C" team, they will be required to play at the age/division of that player is registered to.
  • League Rosters will not be considered when looking at a player's registered class.

These rules seem totally reasonable to me. What I can't understand is why USSSA would allow the rules to vary from state to state. How does that help USSSA as a brand?

Mar 28, 2011
SW Ohio
These rules seem totally reasonable to me. What I can't understand is why USSSA would allow the rules to vary from state to state. How does that help USSSA as a brand?
I agree with you on both counts. In Ohio when you sanction USSSA you get a copy of the national rules and bylaws. You have to do some digging to find that these aren't the only rules you need to know. Here is a link to Ohio's version of pickup player rules Roster Procedures

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
The only thing I don't like about these rule is that as long as you stay in class you should be able to play your age. If you are 12 playing 14U A you should still be able to play pickup for a 12U A team. Smart teams just roster players on the younger team and guest when they need them.

Apr 28, 2014
A major problem we have had here in PA is that teams that were clearly experienced TB teams played down in C year after year in USSSA, hence the trophy hunter's label. This year USSSA instituted the definition for Class C teams such that you can request to be C if your roster was less than 25% experienced travel players (ie not on a previous travel team). The purpose was to level the playing field for less experienced teams and reduce the number of lopsided outcomes. If C teams want higher level competition, they are welcome to register for Open, A, and B tournaments. One would not expect to play against a player registered for an A team in a C tournament.

We have a "C" team here in South Eastern PA that is a 3rd year team at 12U and playing as a "C".
It's crazy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand